Kala chana chat -Black chick peas,boiled and stir fried with tangy Indian spices
preparation time-5 min
cooking time-10 min
- Kala Chana/Black gram-2 cup
- Tomato chopped-3
- Green chillies-2
- Ginger-1 inch
- Garam masala-1 t.s*
- Coriander powder-1 t.s
- Turmeric-1/2 t.s
- Red chilli powder-2 t.s
- Fresh coriander-3 tbls
- Lemon juice-1 tbls
- Black salt-1/2 t.s
- Salt -1 t.s
- Soak 2 cup green gram in enough water for at least 6 hours, it become triple in volume after soaking
- If you want to sprout them then soak for minimum 8 hours and then drain and keep covered for 2 days .
- Take soaked gram and pressure cook for 6 whistles on medium heat.
- Take 3 tbls oil in a pan ,add 1/2 t.s cumin seeds, asafoetida, grated or chopped 1 t.s ginger, 2 chopped green chillies and curry leaves .
- Stir fry for a while ,now add 2 chopped tomatoes(if you want little gravy then add 3,4 tomatoes ) and salt,and cover with a lid
- Cook till tomatoes become soft then add 1/2 t.s turmeric ,1/2 t.s black salt, 2 t.s red chilli powder, 1 t.s coriander powder,1 t.s garam masala and 1 t.s chana masala.
- Fry for a minute,add boiled green gram ,2 tbls of water and cook for 1 minute or till moisture evaporate,add 1 t.s lemon juice and green coriander,check the seasoning,add more lemon juice if required,serve garnished with grated ginger,green coriender and lemon slice.
NOTE-addition of chana masala and garam masala is optional.
serving suggestions-serve as a snack,breakfast or as a side dish.