Kala Chana Chat ,Chana Masala
Servings: 6 people
- 2 cup Black Chickpeas / Kala Chana
- 3 Tomatoes / Tamatar - Chopped
- 2 Green chili/hari mirch
- 1 inch Ginger / Adrak
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 2 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 3 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 1/2 tsp Black Salt / Kala Namak
- 1 tsp Salt / Namak
- Soak 2 cup green gram in enough water for at least 6 hours, it become triple in volume after soaking
- If you want to sprout them then soak for minimum 8 hours and then drain and keep covered for 2 days .
- Take soaked gram and pressure cook for 6 whistles on medium heat.
- Take 3 tbsp oil in a pan ,add 1/2 t.s cumin seeds, asafoetida, grated or chopped 1 t.s ginger, 2 chopped green chilies and curry leaves .
- Stir fry for a while ,now add 2 chopped tomatoes(if you want little gravy then add 3,4 tomatoes ) and salt,and cover with a lid
- Cook till tomatoes become soft then add 1/2 t.s turmeric ,1/2 t.s black salt, 2 t.s red chili powder, 1 t.s coriander powder,1 tsp garam masala and 1 t.s chana masala.
- Fry for a minute,add boiled green gram ,2 tbsp of water and cook for 1 minute or till moisture evaporate,add 1 t.s lemon juice and green coriander,check the seasoning,add more lemon juice if required,serve garnished with grated ginger,green coriander and lemon slice.
NOTE-addition of chana masala and garam masala is optional. Serving suggestions-serve as a snack,breakfast or as a side dish.