Dhaba style Urad daal tadka- Mix lentils cooked in a creamy tomato sauce-specialty of North India
Urad daal is the most popular daal in Punjab. It taste very delicious and creamy after being cooked. You don’t need to add any cream to make it smooth.
Dhaba is the restaurant near the roads mainly on the highways. They have open sitting areas and serve hot fresh delicious food. Earlier the food served was mainly Punjabi cuisine but now you get so many varieties there.
Black Whole urad daal takes time to cook but this white split daal cooks faster and taste equally delicious.But be careful while boiling it as may turn slimy on over cooking. After boiling add te cooked daal in the simple tomato tadka and add fresh lemon and coriander.
This dhaba style Urad daal taste awesome with naan,paratha, roti ,jeera rice and steamed rice.
Try these delicious daals From Punjabi Cuisine-
Preparation time-10 min
Cooking time -20 min
- White lentil /urad daal-2 cup
- Bengal gram/Chana daal-4 tbsp
- Tomato,chopped- 4
- Green chillies-3
- Chopped ginger-1.5 tbsp
- Fresh coriander-3 tbsp
- Turmeric-1/2 tsp
- Paprika powder-1 tsp
- Garam masala-1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice-2 tsp
- Salt-1 tsp
- Cumin seeds-1 tsp
- Asafoetida-1/2 tsp
- oil-3 tbls
- Wash and soak both the lentils for 1/2 an hour.
- Chop tomatoes finely and slit green chillies lengthwise.
- Add turmeric and pressure cook both lentils for 2 whistles or till just done.don’t over cook them.
- Heat oil in a pan ,add cumin and asafoetida.
- When cumin start crackling add chopped tomatoes ,ginger,green chillies and salt,mix well.
- Cover and cook on slow heat till tomatoes become soft.
- Add all the dry spices and keep stiring till oil start seperating from the sides.
- Add boiled daal and one glass of water,cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from flame and add lemon juice,1 tbls of ghee or butter and chopped fresh coriander.
- Sprinkle garam masala and serve hot.