Steamed cabbage and flour dumplings, sauteed in traditional Indian spices
- Grated cabbage – 500 gms (approx – 4.5 cups)
- Gram flour – 5 tbsp
- Wheat flour – 5 tbsp
- Semolina – 5 tbsp
- Curd – 2 tsp
- Lemon juice – 2 tbsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1.5 tsp
- Grated ginger – 1 tsp
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Oil – 1 tblsp
- Eno (Fruit Salt) – 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds-1 tsp
- Sesame seeds-1 tsp
- Asafoetida-1/4 tsp
- Green chilli-4
- Curry leaves-10
- Oil-3 tbsp
- Grate the cabbage and collect it in a big bowl.
- Add all the spices and flours, oil and mix well. Now add eno and mix again.
- Do NOT add any extra water or moisture.
- Boil water in a steamer or in the rice cooker.
- Grease the steamer plate well with cooking oil.
- Now grease your palms and take approx.4 tblsp of mixture and shape into cylinders and place on the steamer plate.
- If you are having difficulting in shaping them due to excess moisture then add some more gram flour and semolina.
- Leave some gap in between the rolls,so that it cooks properly.
- Put the tray in the steamer, close the lid and steam for approx 25-30 minutes on medium heat.
- After that open the lid and check if it is done or not. When you touch the roll, the mixture should not stick on your finger or if you insert a tooth pick it should come out clean.
- When done, let it cool down for 10 minutes (if you are in hurry, you may skip this step)
- Slice into pieces.,
- you can steam these muthiya and keep refrigerated for 2- 3 days ,temper when you want to serve them.
- Heat 3 tbsp of oil in a pan, add mustard and sesame seeds, and once they start crackling, add slit green chillies, asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Now add sliced muthiyas and stir fry for one minute.
- Now add lemon juice, fresh coconut and chopped fresh coriander.
Serving suggestion: Serve hot with tomato ketchup or mint chutney
- Cabbage Kababs – You can deep fry the dumplings after slicing and serve as cabbage kababs.or just make fritters with this mixture without steaming the dumplings.
- Cabbage Kofta – Make a tomato or curd based gravy and add these muthiyas in it just before serving.
- Cabbage Dahi Vada – Arrange muthiya in a dish and pour whipped salted curd over it, sprinkle red chilli powder, roasted cumin powder, sweet chutney and green chutney and serve as cabbage dahi vada.
- Cabbage Appe – Make cabbage appe, in a appe maker with the same mixture.
- Low Fat Snack – Slice muthiyas and add lemon juice and fresh coriander and serve with ketchup.
Cabbage Muthiya ,Steamed Cabbage Dumplings
Servings: 6 people