Whole moong daal -Whole green gram curry cooked with fresh herbs and spices
Whole moong daal or sabut moong is a very healthy lentil to consume as it have many nutritional benefits and is easy to digest if cooked properly. It is loaded with protein and Vitamins ,good source of Iron, Magnesium ,potassium, Phosphorous and also have anti oxidant properties. Moong bean is low in saturated fat and a very good source of fibre.so try to include moong in your diet in some way.
Prep time-5 min
- Whole green moong beans /sabut moong -1 cup
- Chopped ginger,chopped – 1.5 tsp
- Green chilies,chopped – 2 tsp
- Whole red chillies – 3
- kokum – 5 *
- Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice -1 tbls
- Fresh coriander -2 tbls
- Salt-1/2 tsp
- Sugar -1/3 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds /methi dana – 1tsp
- Asafoetida/hing – 1/3 tsp
- Curry leaves – 10
- Chopped green chilies – 2 tsp
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Wash and soak moong for at least 1 hour.
- Soak fenugreek seeds in 2 tbsp of water in a separate bowl.
- In the pressure cooker heat ghee and then add soaked fenugreek seeds(remove the water from the seeds)
- Stir fry for a minute and then add the soaked and drained moong and saute for a minute.
- Now add 2 glasses of water and pressure cook for 3 -4 whistle or till cooked very well.
- Open the pressure cooker and mash or whisk the daal .
- Mix well and cook on medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and fresh coriander.
- Add a tsp of ghee while serving.
- fresh raw mango pieces or dried whole mango pieces can also be added instead of kokum.
- Can skip the step 4 and directly add fenugreek and moong in the pressure cooker at step 6
- At step 7 we can use the starch drained from the boiled rice instead of water.