Gulab jamun- An classic Indian dessert made with milk powder dumplings soaked in sugar syrup.
Gulab Jamun is a traditional and most popular Indian dessert.It is mostly made during festival and celebrations.
Traditionally it is made with paneer and khoya ,but this is a simplified version of making gulab jamun with the ingredients easily available at home.
I always make Gulab jamuns this way and they always turn out soft and delicious.
Prep time-10 min
Cooking time -15 min
- Full fat milk powder-1 cup
- Refined flour-1 t.s
- Semolina-1 t.s
- Ghee or oil-1 t.s
- Soda bi carbonate-1/3 t.s
- Sugar-2 cup
- Saffron-few strands
- Take sugar,saffron ,cardamom seeds and 2 cups of water in a pan,boil for 15 minutes on medium heat.till you feel the stickiness in the syrup.keep stirring
- Now add 2 tsp of rose water in the syrup and keep aside.
- Take milk powder,refined flour ,semolina ,soda and ghee in a deep plate and mix well ,add little water and mix and make a soft dough
- Rub with your palm to smoothen the dough.
- Now take a small portion from the mixture and make a smooth ball by rubing on your palm.
- Make all balls from the mixture and keep aside(cover with a moist cloth)
- Heat ghee or oil in a pan,when it become hot then lower the heat and slide the balls gently in the ghee.
- Keep fryng and turning the sides on low heat till golden in colour.
- Drain on a paper napkin and wait for 2 minutes.
- Then add in the hot sugar syrup.
- Now cover the sugar syrup pan and simmer for 8-10 minutes on low heat.
- Serve after 3.4 hours so the gulab jamuns will absorb the syrup and become soft.
serving suggestions-serve warm or cold .or top with vanilla icecream
- You don’t need a thick sugar syrup for making Gulab Jamuns.
- the dough should be soft ,dn’t make it dry.