Chokh vangun- Baby eggplants cooked in a mildly spiced tangy tamarind gravy- a kashmiri specialty
Chokh Vangun- is a very popular kashmiri style brinjal curry,cooked in a spicy and sour gravy.
It is flavoured with fennel seed powder and ginger powder .Kashmiri food is very simple yet flavourful. Lots of whole spices, ghee and saffron are used in their daily routine food .The spices used are warm and spicy like cloves ,dried ginger ,asafoetida ,cinnamon etc and to balance the heat and flavour fennel is adding in most of the recipes .Yogurt is also used in many dishes in Kashmiri cuisine.
This Chokh vangun is a very delicious popular recipe from Kashmiri cuisine. The brinjals are deep fried in mustard oil. Then a simple gravy is made with few spices ,water and tamarind .Then It is flavoured with fennel seed powder and ginger powder which gives it a very nice flavour and taste.
Do try these delicious recipes from Kashmiri cuisine-
- Kashmiri Dum Aloo
- Kashmiri Dahi Baigan
- Apple and Mango Chutney
- Mooli Akhrot Raita
- Doodhi Yakhni
- Bom Chount
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
- 10 Baby Eggplant/ baigan
- 2 tbsp Thick tamarind pulp/ Imli ka ras
- 2 tsp Fennel powder/ Pisi Saunf
- 1 tsp Ginger powder/ Saunth
- 2 tsp Kashmiri Chili Powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric/ haldi
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida/ hing
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Cooking oil
- Wash and wipe the brinjals well, make 2 slit lengthwise ,take care not to chop off the steam portion .
- Heat oil in pan and deep fry brinjals on medium flame to a deep red colour. keep aside
- Mix asafoetida in 1 tbls of water and keep aside
- Heat 2 tbls oil in a pan,add chilli powder and then add asafoetida water..
- Now add tamrind pulp and 3/4 glass of water.(if you want more gravy then add 1 glass water)
- When it start boiling add turmeric,ginger powder, fennel powder and salt.
- Add fried brinjals and cover and simmer for 5 minutes .or till cooked well.
- Garnish with fresh coriander
- Serving suggestions-serve with paratha.poori aur rice