A very refreshing and cool Indian dessert made with thickened and strained yoghurt.
Shrikhand is a very popular dessert from North India,its specially popular in Gujarat,Uttar pradesh and Maharashtra
it is quite easy and quick to make .
To make shrikhand you just need good quality yogurt .first the yogurt should be tied in a muslin cloth and then hang it for about 5-6 hours so all the exces water should be drained and we get thick yogurt ,then the thick hung curd is mixed with sugar and let it rest for 15 minutes so the sugar will melt.Now the yogurt mixture is passed through a sieve .
now a thick and smooth shrikhand is ready ,you can now add dry fruits ,saffron and cardamom powder according to your taste and preference.serve it chilled ,its easily stays fresh for 3-4 days in refrigerator
preparation time-20 min
- Fresh yoghurt -2 kg / Greek yoghurt-1 kg
- Sugar -400 gms
- Almonds -20
- Pista -20
- Saffron -1/2 t.s
- Cardamon powder-1/2 t.s
- Tie yoghurt in a fine muslin cloth and hang it for a least 8 hours,so all the excess water will drained out.but don’t hang in warm place otherwise it may become sour.
- Open and take all the yoghurt in a big bowl and mix sugar (you can adjust the quantity of sugar according to your taste)
- If using Greek yogurt then just add sugar ( skip the hanging part)
- Mix and keep aside for 15 minutes.then strain through a soup strainer,or whisk well
- Heat saffron in microwave for 40 seconds to make it crisp.
- Then crush it in a mortal and pestle and then soak in little warm milk. heating and then crushing help to get nice colour from saffron.
- Crush or chop almonds and pista.
- Now add saffron,dry fruits and cardamon powder in the yoghurt.mix well
- Chill and serve
Variation-you can add mango puree or any fruit of your choice into it, to make fruit shrikhand
serving suggestions-serve as a dessert.