Methi matar malai -Fresh fenugreek and peas cooked in rich cream and tomato sauce
Today I am sharing the recipe of the very popular punjabi curry -methi matar malai. There are so many versions of making this but this is my favourite version of methi matar malai
If you want a white gravy then use curd instead of tomato puree and can also substitute cream with fresh milk.and if fresh fenugreek is not available then dried fenugreek (methi) leaves can also be used to make methi matar malai curry
- Fresh fenugreek /methi -200 gms
- Boiled peas-150 gms
- Grated ginger-1 t.s
- Cashew nuts-10
- Thick cream-1/2 cup
- Tomato puree-1 cup
- Butter-2 t.s
- Garam masala-1 t.s
- Chilli powder-1/2 t.s
- Coriander powder-1 t.s
- Mango powder-1/2 t.s
- Sugar-1 t.s
- Salt-1/2 t.s
- Wash and chop fenugreek and then apply 1 t.s salt and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Squeeze the water from it and wash 2-3 times with fresh water.(you can deep fry the fenugreek leaves in hot oil if you don’t like the slightly bitter taste of it.)
- Soak cashews for 20 minutes in warm water and then grind with 2 green chillies and ginger.
- Heat 2 tbls oil in a pan,add fenugreek and saute for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle 3 tbls water and cover and cook for 5 minutes on low flame.
- Add chilli powder,coriander powder,saute.then add salt and tomato puree and cashew paste
- Cook for 2 minutes then add boiled peas and sugar .cover and cook for 2 minutes.
- Now add butter and cream,give it a boil and add garam masala.
- Switch off the flame and add mango powder (optional)
- Serve hot.
serving suggestions-serve as a side dish with naan,roti or kulchas.