Boondi ki kadhi -A delicious and easy to make kadhi from Uttar Pradesh and Punjab
Boondi ki kadhi is very easy to make yet taste awesome, it is the favourite kadhi of my family. Kadhi is made with gramflour/besan and there are numerous varieties of kadhi’s you can make with besan and yogurt. Each Indian state and families have their own version or favorite recipe of making kadhi.
The curry of each kadhi is made with besan and yogurt but the proportion of besan and yogurt differs in each recipe. Though there are few kadhi recipes which does not have yogurt at all like Sindhi kadhi and Bhatia style kadhi ,in these kadhi’s Tomato puree or kokum and imli is added for sourness instead of yogurt.
This boondi ki kadhi is very popular in my community and for all weddings and celebrations it is made and is also cooked regularly. Boondi Kadi, Mogar Daal and Rice is a very popular combination for lunch in Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan and in my community. My grandmother and my mom always make besan boondi at home for making boondi ki kadhi but now as ready made boondi’s are easily available so I prefer to use that to make my work easier. You can make besan boondi at home or use the ready made available plain besan boondi ,as per your choice
How to Make Boondi Ki Kadhi
The recipe is quite simple to follow. You need sour yogurt and gram flour for making this kadhi. Mix yogurt and gram flour /besan properly ,using a hand blender makes the work easier. Then add enough water to adjust the consistency . Add chopped green chilies ,ginger and the spices and let it boil for about 45 minutes. First it looks thinner but after cooking it for about 45 minutes-1 hour it will thickens. Now add boondi and then the tempering. Just before serving add lemon juice and fresh coriander and enjoy hot kadhi with this Sookhi moong daal and steamed rice !
Looking for some more delicious Kadhi Recipes then do try-
- Corn Methi Kadhi
- Kutchi Bhatia Kadhi
- Gujarati Bhindi Ki Kadhi
- Kulfa Chana Daal Kadhi
- Aloo matar Mangodi Ki Kadhi
- Moong daal Pakoda Kadhi/ Miloni Ki Kadhi
Boondi ki Kadhi
- 1 cup Yogurt / Dahi (Sour Curd)
- 4 tbsp Gram flour / Besan
- 5 glass Water / Paani
- 1 cup Boondi
- 3 Green chili/hari mirch chopped
- 1 tbsp Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 1 tsp Black Salt / Kala Namak
- 1 tsp Salt / Namak
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras (or according to taste)
- 1/3 cup Fresh Coriander/ Hara Dhaniya
- 3 tsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee Or Oil
- 1/24 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 3 Whole red chilies
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 8 Curry Leaves / Kadi Patta
- 2 Cloves / Lavang
- Take a big cooking pan,add curd and gram flour and mix well to make a smooth batter .
- Now add 5 glass water,chopped ginger,green chilies and all the listed spices, except boondi.
- Cook on high flame for approx. 6-7 minutes or till it start boiling, keep stirring.
- When it start boiling then lower the flame and let it simmer for 35 minutes. Keep string in between.
- Make Tempering – heat oil in a small bowl.when it become warm(I prefer to add tempering when the oil was just warm,then heat it further) add cumin and asafoetida ,when it start crackling add curry leaves,whole red chilies and cloves, when done add 1/2 t.s chili powder and pour on the boiling kadi.
- Switch off the flame and add boondi,lemon juice and fresh coriander.
- Cover the kadi for 5 minutes so that the boondi will soften and swell up and absorb the flavors.