Kathal ki subzi – Stir fried Jackfruit in select Indian spices.
preparation time-10 min
cooking time-20 min
- Kathal /Jackfruit-500 gms
- Curd-4 tbls
- Ginger-1 tbls
- Cumin-1 t.s
- Asafoetida-1/4 t.s
- Clove Powder-1/4 t.s
- Garam Masala-1/2 t.s
- Mango Powder-1.5 t.s
- Crushed Chili Flakes-1.5 t.s
- Coriander Powder-1.5 t.s
- Turmeric-3/4 t.s
- Salt-1 t.s
- Oil-1/2 cup
- Apply oil on your hands and knife and peel the outer skin of kathal and chop into small pieces (I used 500 gms peeled jackfruit).
- Pressure cook the jackfruit pieces and seeds with 2.5 glasses of water , 1/2 t.s turmeric and 1/2 t.s salt.
- Drain on a colander and let it cool down, then squeeze gently to remove the extra water.
- Peel the seeds carefully and chop them into pieces
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin, asafoetida, clove powder and grated ginger.saute for a while.
- Add turmeric and boiled jackfruit and seeds, and fry for few seconds and then add salt.
- Let it cook for 2 minutes on low flame, stir 2-3 times in between
- Now add beaten curd and all the spices.
- Mix well and cook on low flame for 5 minutes.
- Keep turning the sides in between (Kathal is a very bland vegetable, so you need a little extra of everything – oil, spices and cooking time)
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve.
Serving Suggestions – Serve with Roti, Rice or as a side dish.