Vegetable biryani pulao -A very delicious and fragrant vegetable pulao with the flavours of Biryani
preparation time-10 min
cooking time-20 min
- Basmati rice-1.5 cup
- Mix vegetables-3 cup*
- Paneer cubes- 1/2 cup (optional)
- Mint leaves-10
- Cashew nuts-10
- Raisins-2 tbls
- Curd-2 tbls
- Saffron-1/4 t.s
- Milk-2 tbls
- Salt-1.5 t.s
- Green chillies-4
- Ginger juliennes-1 t.s
- Dried rose petals OR rose water-1 t.s(optional) *
- Garam masala powder-1/2 t.s
- Ghee-5 tbls
- Cumin seeds-1 t.s
- Whole red chillies-3
- Green cardamom-5
- Black cardamom-2
- Bay leaves-3
- Cinnamon -1 inch
- Whole pepper corn-10
- Wash and soak rice for 30 minutes in enough water.
- Take saffron in a glass bowl,cover and heat it for 30 seconds to make it crisp.
- Take out and crush it and soak in 2 tbls of milk .
- Chop mix vegetables- carrots ,beans,cauliflower,capsicum(or any vegetable of your choice) into small pieces and wash peas and corn kernels.slit green chillies lengthwise.
- Crush and open both the cardamoms and take out the seeds.
- Heat oil in a pan add ghee (you can also use oil ,but ghee gives a very nice flavour to any rice preparation )
- When ghee become warm add all the tempering ingredients and cashews and saute till golden in colour.
- Drain water from the rice, and add rice,raisins and slit green chillies in the ghee and saute gently for few seconds.
- Now add curd and all the vegetables,saute for few seconds
- Add salt, gram masala, mint leaves, rose petals, ginger, paneer and 3.5 cups of warm water.
- When water start boiling,lower the heat ,cover and cook till 80% done.
- Open the pan and drizzle the saffron mixture,cover and cook till done.
- When done, open the lid after 5 minutes and let it cool down completely otherwise it may overcook due to the heat and steam build up inside.
- Gently fluff the rice after 10 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Serving suggestions-best served with salad, raita,curd and mirchi ka salan