Dahi wali arbi -Tangy colacosia /taro root curry cooked with yoghurt and Indian spices
During summers we wish to eat something light and cool.,so I often make curries in which curd can be added.Taro root /arbi /colacasia is such a vegetable which can be cooked in a delicious curd gravy.
preparation time-10 min
cooking time-10 min
- Arbi (colacosia)-250 gms
- Refined flour(maida)-1 tsp
- Curd-3/4 cup
- Water-1.5 glass
- Carom seeds(ajwain)-1 tsp
- Asafoetida- 1/4 t.s
- Ginger-1/2 tsp
- Green chillies-2
- Black salt-1/4 tsp
- Salt-1/2 tsp
- Turmeric-1/2 tsp
- Chilli powder-1 tsp
- Lemon juice-1 tsp
- Garam masala-a pinch of
- fresh coriander-2tbls
- Wash and pressure cook arbi for 2-3 whistles(depending on the size and quality of arbi) till cooked completely.OR wash and microwave for approx. 15 minutes
- Peel off the skin and slice into medium thick roundals.
- Heat oil in a pan and deep fry these slices on high heat till golden in colour. OR you can just use sliced arbi without frying .frying is done to reduce the slimminess of arbi.but I prefer to use arbi without frying.
- Mix flour into curd and mix well (flour is added into curd to reduce the chances of curdling )then add 1.5 glass water and mix properly(A)
- Heat oil in a pan and add carom seeds, asafoetida and cloves,when carom seeds become golden add chopped green chillies and chilli powder
- Immediately pour in the curd and water mixture(A) and stir
- Add all the spices (except lemon juice) and chopped arbi slices.
- Mix and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes, keep stirring, otherwise it may curdle.
- Now add fresh coriander,garam masala and lemon juice.
- Serve hot and enjoy
1-you can also use this curry as a fasting food by just omitting black salt and
turmeric and substitute chili powder with black pepper powder .