Beguni – baigan pakoda, Aubergine fritters topped with tangy salsa
Beguni/baigan pakora or baigan fry is a very popular snack in India,specially in Bengal. Brinjal slices are coated/dipped in spiced gram flour batter and then deep fried in mustard oil or any refined oil.
I often serve these with ketchup or mint chutney,but yesterday I tried a slightly different way to serve this Baigan Pakoda,which looks good,tempting and taste delicious.You can roast the tomato and capsicum and then peel and chop to get the smoky flavour in your salsa.
Beguni with Tangy Salsa Topping , Baigan Pakora
Servings: 2 people
- 1 Brinjals / Baingan
- 1/2 cup Gram flour / Besan
- 1 tbsp Arrowroot / Corn Flour / Tapkir
- 1/2 tsp Salt / Namak
- 1/3 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- a pinch Carom Seeds / Ajwain
- 1 tsp Corn Kernels / Makai Dana
- 1 tsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- 2.5 tbsp Tomato Ketchup
- 1/2 Tomatoes / Tamatar
- 2 tbsp Bell Peppers / Capsicum / Shimla Mirch chopped
- 2 tbsp Cabbage / Patta Gobhi chopped
- 1/2 tsp Chilli Flakes / Kuti Lal Mirch
- 1/3 tsp White Vinegar / Sirka
- 1/4 tsp Sugar / Chini
- a pinch Salt / Namak
- 1/3 tsp Oregano
- Deseed tomato and chop all vegetables in small pieces
- Now mix all the spices and vegetables (for salsa) in tomato ketchup.
- Wash and make thin roundal of brinjals .
- Take a bowl add gram flour, corn flour, salt,chili powder and ajwain.
- Mix and add water to make a medium thick batter.
- Whisk well for a minute.
- Dip brinjal roundals in the batter and deep fry in hot oil on medium heat
- Arrange the fritters on a serving platter.
- Place a spoonful of salsa on the fritters.
- Garnish with corn kernels and coriander leaf.
- serve and enjoy with a hot cup of tea:)