Khatti Meethi Whole moong daal -Sweet and Sour Green Mungo beans/khatti meethi moong
Khatti meethi Whole moong daal ,Mungo beans or whole moong bean is one of the healthiest and quickest legumes to prepare and the easiest of all beans to digest, mung beans have numerous positive health benefits. They are a good source of essential fatty acids, antioxidants, minerals, and protein.
whole moong bean is cooked in many ways ,but mostly used for making sprouts .Today I am sharing my community special recipe of khatti methi moong which is usually cooked on auspicious occasions ,specially on birthday and weddings.This is accompanied with boiled rice and aloo matar mangodi(bari) ki kadi OR with boondi ki kadi .
- Whole moong beans-1 cup
- Chopped ginger-1.5 tsp
- Chopped green chilies-2 tsp
- Sugar-4 tbsp
- Mango powder-1.5 tbsp
- Asafoetida-1/2 tsp
- Red chili powder-1.5 tsp
- Turmeric-1/2 tsp
- Salt -1tsp
- Ghee-2 tbsp
- Fresh coriander-2 tbsp
- Wash and soak moong(beans) for minimum 1 hour.
- Pressure cook with 3 cups of water for 4- 5 whistles on medium flame or till cooked well and become soft.
- Open the cooker and mash slightly and then add 3 cups of warm water .
- Add all the spices and chopped green chili and ginger.
- Cook on medium heat for 10 minutes and then simmer for 15 minutes .keep stirring in between.
- Now remove from fire and add chopped coriander and ghee,mix well.
- Serve with boiled rice and kadi with a spoon ful of ghee on top 🙂