Bharwa mirch -Peppers stuffed with an assortment of Indian spices.
Masala bharwa mirch /Bharli mircha is a favourite accompaniment at my place. I usually stuff them with just dry powdered spices, but this time I tried to stuff it with some leftover bikaneri sev (which had become slightly stale due to the moisture :)), and it turned out to be very delicious, and every one at home liked it, especially my daughter, avoids eating hot food, loved it very much – so do try this easy and delicious bharli mircha.
For a more quick version – Just add some oil, salt and lemon juice in the ground bikaneri sev and fill in the chilies and stir fry (this tip is specially for my son :))
I have also posted easy green chili pickle recipe here
- Bhavnagri Chilies / Serrano Peppers – 150 gms (13-14 pcs.) *
- Bikaneri Sev – 1/4 cup**
- Fennel Seeds – 1.5 tbsp
- Carom Seeds (Ajwain) – 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 2 tbsp
- Mango Powder (or Lemon Juice) – 2 tbsp
- Salt – 1tsp
- Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
- Refined Oil – 4.5 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Grind bikaneri sev to make a fine powder.
- Coarsly grind fennel seeds and carom seeds.
- Take a bowl and add -bikaneri sev powder,fennel and carom powder,coriander powder, turmeric powder,mango powder and salt.
- Mix well and add 2 tbsp of refined oil and mix properly.
- Wash and wipe green chilies and make a slit at one side.
- Stuff this mixture in the chilies and keep aside.
- Heat 2.5 tbsp refined oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and asafoetida .
- When seeds start crackling add the stuffed green chilies.
- Mix gently and cover and cook on low flame for approx 3-4 minutes.
- Stir twice during cooking. When the chilies become slightly soft, switch off the flame and keep covered for a minute.
- Serve with any meal or use as a pickle/ travel food.
- Stays well for approx 1 month in the refrigerator.
* You can use jalapenos or any mildly hot chili to make this.
** Bikaneri Sev is a popular Indian savory fried snack made from gram flour. Its easily available in Indian grocery stores across the worldwide – just ask for “Bhujiya”. The most popular brands are Haldiram’s and Bikaji.
If you don’t have bikaneri sev then roast 2.5 tbsp of gram flour/besan in a tsp of oil till golden in colour and use instead .