Raw papaya Kachumber /A sweet and sour, green papaya and pomegranate relish is an specialty from Gujarat.
preparation time-10 min
cooking time-5 min
Serves – 4
- Green Papaya – 2.5 cup
- Pomegranate Seeds – 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Sugar – 1.5 tsp
- Lemon Juice – 1.5 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Refined Vegetable Oil – 1.5 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
- Green Chilies, coarsely chopped – 1.5 tsp
- Curry Leaves-8
- Peel the papaya, remove the white seeds and then grate it with the help of a thick grater.
- Heat oil in a pan and then add the mustard seeds. Once the seeds start crackling add asafoetida, chopped green chilies and curry leaves, and sauté.
- Add turmeric and grated papaya and sauté for approx. 1 minute on medium heat.
- Now add the salt, sugar and lemon juice, mix and sauté for a minute (be careful not to overcook the papaya).
- Take the pan off the heat and then mix pomegranate seeds.
- Serve hot or cold.
Serving Suggestions – Serve as a relish, pickle or salad.
You may substitute pomegranate seeds with roasted and coarsely crushed salted peanuts.