Bhinda Ni kadi -Mildly spiced okra and buttermilk stew – speciality of Gujarat.
Gujarati cuisine is famous for its snacks and kadhis. Its kadhis are different from U.P and Punjabi style kadhis. Gujaratis love Bhindi/Okra and its widely used in their cuisine.
This Bhinda Ni Kadhi is a slightly thicker version of the famous Plain Gujarati Kadhi and usually served with rice and bhakri. I prefer to use slightly sour yogurt to make this, but if you are using fresh yogurt then you may add lemon juice to it.
preparation time-5 min
cooking time-30 min
- Bhindi/okra-100 gms
- Gram flour-3 tbsp
- Yoghurt -1.5 cup*
- Water-4.5 cup
- Salt-1 tsp
- Sugar-1 tsp
- Turmeric-1/2 tsp
- Chili flakes-1 tsp
- Chopped ginger-1 tsp
- Lemon juice-1 tsp *
- Refined oil-2 tsp
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Chopped green chilies-1 tsp
- Asafoetida-1/3 tsp
- Whole red chili-2
- Curry leaves-10
- Wash and wipe okra,and chop into medium size roundals.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and saute okra slices on medium heat till almost done,can cover the pan with a lid if needed OR you can also deep fry them.
- In a bowl add yogurt and gram flour and whisk well ,then add water and mix,make sure there will be no lumps in the mixture.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the tempering,when done add the yogurt mixture,salt,turmeric,ginger and chili powder
- Boil on high heat for 5 minutes or till it start boiling,keep stiring otherwise it may curdle at this stage.
- When start boiling reduce the heat and simmer for approx 20 minutes.keep stirring in between.
- Add sauted okra pieces and sugar and boil for 5 minutes.
- Add fresh corinader and lemon juice.
Serving suggestions-Serve with khichdi or boiled rice,roti,papad and pickle.
*Use slightly sour yogurt, if you are not using sour yoghurt then add lemon juice.