Hara bhara kabab -Mildly spiced Spinach, Peas and Potato Patties – from North India
preparation time-15 min
cooking time-10 min
- Spinach leaves-20
- Green Peas, boiled – 3/4 cup
- Potatoes, boiled – 2
- Paneer / Cottage Cheese, crumbled – 1/2 cup
- Semolina/Cream of Wheat/Sooji – 1.5 tsp
- Green Chilies – 3
- Cashew Nuts – 5
- Garam Masala – 1/3 tsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Chat Masala – 3/4 tsp
- Cumin Seeds -1/2 tsp
- Refined Oil or Ghee – to fry
- Wash and remove the stalks of spinach,use the tender leaves only.
- Boil enough water in a pan and add 1/2 tsp sugar ,when water start boiling add in the spinach and wait till the leaves wilt and change the colour(don’t overcook)
- Drain and refresh with cold water ,and squeeze all the water from the spinach leaves,by pressing in between a cloth napkin.soak the cashew halves in water
- Now grind the boiled peas and green chilies in the mixer,without adding any water.
- Then add spinach leaves and grind again, remove the paste in a bowl
- Heat 1.5 tsp ghee(clarified butter)in a non stick pan and then add cumin seeds .
- When it become red ,then add in the spinach paste and saute for few seconds on medium heat.
- Now add semolina and saute till it start leaving the pan (approx.for a minute) .
- Remove the mixture from the pan and let it cool down completely.
- Now add mashed potato,cottage cheese and spices and mix well.
- Make 10 balls from the mixture and shape into round pattices,press a cashew in the centre.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil or ghee in a non stick pan and shallow fry the pattice on medium heat till golden in colour.
- Drain on a paper napkin and serve hot.
Serving Suggestions – Serve with a tangy dip or ketchup.
1-You can skip the cooking process of the spinach puree (step 6 to 9)and directly add it in the potato and paneer mixture.
2-You may substitute semolina with corn flour or roasted gram flour (add it at step-10).