Gatta curry -Steamed gram flour dumplings cooked in a flavourful yoghurt curry a speciality of Rajasthan
Gatta curry is a very popular and traditional curry from Rajasthan .Rajasthan is a dry climate state and so they have less availability of fresh vegetables,,hence they use much of flours,grains and pulses.
Gatta curry is made with gram flour dumplings boiled in water,sliced and added in a spicy yoghurt curry,some like to fry the steamed gattas before adding in the curry, this depends on personal choice,this curry is a main course dish,but the steamed and fried gattas can also be served as a snack.
prep time-5 min
cooking time-15 min
For making gatta-
- Gram flour-1.5 cup
- Yoghurt-2 tbsp
- Oil-3 tbsp
- Asafoetida- a pinch
- Baking soda- a pinch
- Fennel seeds- 1 tsp
- Coriander seeds- 1 tsp
- Carom seeds/ajwain- a pinch of
- Chili powder- 1 tsp
- Salt- 1 tsp
For the gravy-
- Yoghurt- 1.5 cup
- Green chilies- 2
- Grated ginger-1 /2 tsp
- Chili powder-1 tsp
- Coriander powder-1 tsp
- Turmeric- 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala- 1/4 tsp
- Salt-1 tsp
- Refined oil-3 tbsp
- Cumin seeds- 1tsp
- Fenugreek seeds- 1/4 tsp
- Cloves -2
- Bay leaf- 1
- Asafoetida- 1/4 tsp
- GATTA-Coarsly crush coriander and fennel seeds .(to add in the gatta dough)
- In a bowl add gram flour,crushed seeds and all the ingredients listed for making gattas.
- Mix and make a tight dough,add some more yoghurt if needed.
- Make 6 balls from the dough and roll them to make long and medium thick rolls.
- Boil 2.5 glasses of water in a pan ,when it start boiling then add the rolls in it.
- Boil for around 5-7 minutes ,they will float on top of water when done.
- Take out gatta from the pan and let them cool down for 5 minutes.don’t throw the water, you will need this to add in the gravy.
- Slice into medium size pieces and keep aside
- GRAVY-mix turmeric,coriander and chili powder with 2 tbsp of water and keep aside.(A)
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin,fenugreek,asafoetida and cloves .
- When cumin become golden then add the spice mixture(A) and stir for few seconds.
- Remove the pan from heat and add whisked yoghurt and stir for a while ,now put the pan on fire and saute for a minute.
- Now add approx. 1 cup water(in which you have boiled the gattas) and cook for some time,keep stirring the gravy
- When gravy start boiling add the sliced gattas after 2 minutes.
- Simmer for 3-5 minutes.add garam masala and fresh coriander.
- Serve hot.
Serving suggestions-serve with bajra or wheat flour parathas ,poori or steamed rice
1-Dont throw the left over water in which you have boiled the gattas, as the cooked curry may thicken after some time so you can add this water to adjust the consistency.
2- You can add chopped fresh fenugreek leaves in the gatta dough.