Sama ki khichdi -A healthy and mildly flavoured Barnyarn millet pilaf ( food for fasting/upvas)
Preparation time-5 min
cooking time -20 min
- Sama/Moraiyo/Mordhan/Varai-1/2 cup
- Yoghurt-3/4 cup
- Water- approx 2.5 cup
- Potato,thinly chopped-3/4 cup
- Green chilies,minced-1.5 tsp
- Crushed peanut- 2 tbsp
- Ginger ,chopped -1 tsp
- Fresh coriander,chopped-2 tbsp
- Lemon juice- 1tsp(optional)
- Pomegranate seeds-2 tsp
- Salt-1 tsp
- Pepper powder-1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds- 1tsp
- Asafoetida- 1/4 tsp
- Cooking oil or ghee -2 tbsp
- In a heavy bottom pan add ghee/cooking oil,and then add cumin seeds.
- when seed start crackling add chopped potatoes,mix and cover with a lid and cook on low flame till done(become soft).
- Now add crushed peanuts and chopped chilies in the pan and saute for few seconds then add samo and saute for a minute on low heat.
- Add water in the pan and add salt and pepper powder and mix.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook on low heat till samo become soft.
- Can add some more water if needed.
- Now add beaten yogurt and ginger in the pan.
- At this stage you can add some more warm water if needed, as it should not be thick at this stage.
- Mix well and let it come to a boil.
- When done,switch off the flame and add lemon juice and chopped coriander and mix well.
- Cover and let it rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and pomegranate seeds and serve hot.
Serving suggestions-serve with coconut chutney .
1-The preferred consistency of this khichdi is soft like porridge.
2- Sama’s tendency is to absorb the moisture quickly,so If it thickens after some time,you can add some hot water and reheat the khichdi for a minute to adjust the consistency.
3- Fried and crushed cashews can also be added .