Samak ki khichdi -A healthy gluten free Barnyarn millet and yogurt pilaf ,food for fasting/upvas
Samak Ki Khichdi- /samu/moraiyo/samak/Sama /mordhan /varai or Barnyan millet is a seed ,which is very easily available in Indian stores.It is quite small in size and round in shape,almost similar to thick semolina.
It is a complex carbs and rich in fiber so can be easily used on daily basis.It absorb a good quantity of water so is quite filling.
I often make sama ke chawal for fasting as millet , sabudana, kuttu atta, singhora atta,rajgiri atta are mainly used as a fasting food.They are specially consumed during Navratri, shivratri, ekadashi and on other fasting days.
Most of the people in North India fast during Navratri and eat only satvik food as grains and pulses are prohibited during fasting. Potato, sweet potato, colocasia/arbi , yellow pumpkin, yam, bottle gourd, cucumber, raw banana are preferred.
Only few selected spices can be used during fasting i.e sendha namak(rock salt),pepper powder,mango powder,asafoetida and cumin seeds.But it may vary from region to region and family traditions and rituals.
This samak ke chawal ki khichdi is an easy recipe. You just have to saute the samo in the tempering. You can add boiled potatoes or saute or deep fry potato cubes before adding in the khichdi. add water ,fresh herbs and spices and cook till done .
Add whisked curd or buttermilk to adjust the consistency and serve hot. Serve with some green chutney or coconut chutney.
Do try these delicious fasting recipes-
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Samak Ki Khichdi/ Moraiyo Khichdi
- 1/2 cup Sama/ Barnyarn Millet
- 3/4 cup Yogurt/ Dahi
- 3 cup Water
- 1 medium Potato
- 1.5 tsp Green Chili Chopped
- 2 tbsp Peanuts/ Moongphali Crushed
- 1 tsp Ginger/ Adrak chopped
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander/ Hara Dhaniya
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice Optional
- 2 tbsp Pomegranate pearls Optional
- 1/2 tsp Pepper powder
- To Taste Salt
- 2 tbsp Ghee or Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds/ Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida/ Hing
- In a heavy bottom pan add ghee/cooking oil,and then add cumin seeds.
- when seed start crackling add chopped potatoes,mix and cover with a lid and cook on low flame till done(become soft).
- Add water in the pan and add salt and pepper powder and mix.Cover the pan with a lid and cook on low heat till samo become soft.Can add some more water if needed.
- Now add beaten yogurt and ginger in the pan.
- At this stage you can add some more warm water if needed, as it should not be thick at this stage.Mix well and let it come to a boil.When done,switch off the flame and add lemon juice and chopped coriander and mix well.Cover and let it rest for 5 minutes before serving.Garnish with chopped coriander and pomegranate seeds and serve hot.
- Mix well and let it come to a boil.
- When done,switch off the flame and add lemon juice and chopped coriander and mix well.
- Cover and let it rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and pomegranate seeds and serve hot.
- Serving suggestions-serve with green chutney or coconut chutney .
1-The preferred consistency of this khichdi is soft like porridge.
2- Sama’s tendency is to absorb the moisture quickly,so If it thickens after some time,you can add some hot water and reheat the khichdi for a minute to adjust the consistency.
3- Fried and crushed cashews can also be added .