Sabut masoor ki daal -Red lentil cooked with mild spices
Whole masoor daal /Egyptian lentil is rich in protein,fibre and easy to digest.You just need a few ingredients to cook this easy and humble daal,goes well with steamed rice and rotis,you can also make a thin puree of the cooked daal and serve as a lentil soup.
It will take slightly longer time to cook as compared to tuvar, sabut moong,chana daal and moong daal.You can check these daal recipe here-Rajasthani daal , daal makhani, punjabi tadka daal, panchmel daal , Daal fry.
prep time-10 min
cooking time-25 min
- Whole masoor daal/red lentil-3/4 cup
- Green chilies.chopped-2
- Ginger chopped-1 tsp
- Lemon juice-2 tsp
- Sugar-1 tsp(optional)
- Fresh coriander-2 tsp
- Red chili powder-1 tsp
- Coriander powder-1 tsp
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
- Garam masala-a pinch
- Salt-1 tsp
- Asafoetida-1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds-1 tsp
- Curry leaves-8
- Ghee or Cooking Oil-2 tsp
- Wash and soak lentil for minimum 20 mins in enough water.
- In the pressure cooker add the soaked daal along with chopped tomato,green chilis and 2.5 cup water and cook on medium flame for 4 whistles or till cooked completely(soft to touch).
- When cool down completely,open the pressure cooker and slightely mash the daal with a laddle.
- Now add chili powder,turmeric,coriander powder,chopped ginger, sugar,salt and approx 1.5 – 2 cup water.
- Mix well and let it boil on medium heat for 5 -7 minutes.
- Heat ghee or oil in a small pan and add cumin,when it start crackling add asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Pour over the boiling daal,cook for a minute and switch off the flame.
- Add lemon juice,garam masala and fresh coriander and serve hot.