Aloo baigan ki subzi- A North Indian style dry curry of potatoes and aubergine
This North Indian style Aloo baigan is a simple and delicious dry dish,Potatos are very well paired with soft and melt in mouth brinjals and tomato and make’s it a great combo,the main flavour of this dish comes from the flavour of its tempering.I have used mustard oil,but you can substitute it with any cooking oil of your choice.
Aloo Baigan Ki Subzi
- 1/2 kg Brinjals / Baingan diced
- 2 Potatoes / Aloo chopped
- 1/2 cup Tomatoes / Tamatar chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 1 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya chopped
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1.5 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1.5 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- to taste Salt / Namak
Tempering / Tadka
- 4.5 tbsp Mustard Oil / Sarso ka tel
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek Seeds / Methidana
- 1/2 tsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- Wash brinjals and chop to make small cubes or make long slices.
- Peel and chop potatoes in cubes.(peeling is optional,you can also chop them without peeling).
- Heat oil in a deep pan ,when it become warm then add the tempering ingredients.
- When mustard seeds start crackling and fennel become golden,then add chopped potatoes and turmeric.
- Stir for few seconds and then cover the pan and cook for approx 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Now open the lid and add chopped brinjals,ginger and salt.
- Mix well ,cover and cook on low heat till the vegetables are almost cooked .
- Add chopped tomatoes and all the remaining spices and mix gently.
- Cover and cook on low heat till cooked completely.(approx 1-2 minutes)
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve.