Bhindi sambhariya -Okra stuffed with coconut,peanuts and mixed spices, specialty from the state of Gujarat
prep time-20 minutes
cooking time- 30 minutes
- Tender Bhindi/okra-300 gms
- Cooking oil-4 tbsp
- Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds-1tsp
- Curry leaves-8
- Asafoetida-1/4 tsp
- Cooking oil-3 tbsp
- Fresh coconut,grated-1/4 cup
- Roasted peanuts.crushed coarsely-2 tbsp
- Roasted sesame,coarse powder-1 tbsp
- Mango powder-1 tbsp
- Chili powder-2 tsp
- Coriander powder-1.5 tsp
- Turmeric -1/2 tsp
- Sugar- 1 tsp
- Garam masala- 1tsp
- Cooking oil- 2 tbsp
- Salt -to taste
- Wash bhindi and spread on a cloth napkin in a single layer to remove all the moisture.
- Trim the edges and make a slit in the centre lengthwise,take care not to break the okra in two pieces.
- In a big bowl add all the ingredients for stuffing and mix well.
- Stuff okras with this stuffing and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a broad and heavy bottom pan and add cumin seeds,mustard seeds,asafoetida and curry leaves.
- When seeds start crackling add the stuffed okras and the left over stuffing masala .
- Cook on slow flame with out covering the pan.this way you will retain the bright green colour of the okra.
- If the okras are not tender,are big or you are in hurry then can cover the pan with a lid.
- Keep stirring in between so it will get a nice colour from all the sides.
- When done remove from the pan and serve hot.
Serving suggestions-serve with rice and chapatis.