Flavorful and mildly spiced rice and bengal gram pilaf
Chana daal pulav-A quick and flavorful one pot meal .Its a specialty from Mughlai cuisine.it have flavorful but mild flavours.
Chana daal and rice is cooked first then tempered with whole spice s and yogurt and then simmered for a while so it will absorb all the flavors.
It is best served with yogurt or raita ,no need for elaborate accompaniments.
Prep time-10 minutes
Cooking time-35 minutes
Type- Main course
- Rice- 1 cup
- Chana daal/bengal gram- 3/4 cup
- Golden raisins/kishmish – 1.5 tbsp
- Cashew pieces /kaju- 2 tbsp(optional)
- Yogurt/dahi – 3 tbsp
- Green chilies,slit -2
- Ginger, grated- 1tsp
- Ginger sliced- 1tsp
- Fresh coriander,chopped- 2 tbsp
- Salt-to taste
- Pure ghee/Butter-2 tbsp
- Cooking oil-2 tbsp
- Whole red chilies-2
- Bay leaves /tejpatta- 2
- Green cardamom-4
- Cloves/laung -4
- Pepper corns/ sabut kali mirch -10
- Cinnamon /daalchini -1 inch
- Wash and soak rice and chana daal separately for approx- 20 minutes
- Heat ghee and oil in a heavy bottom pan.
- Add the tempering spices and let them crackle.
- Now add green chilies (slit lengthwise),grated ginger,broken cashew nuts and the soaked chana daal(strain the water) in the pan.
- Saute for a minute and then add approx. 2.5 cup water and let it boil.
- When the water start boiling,cover the pan and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Now add whisked yogurt,sliced ginger,raisins, salt and rice.
- Mix properly and then cover the pan with a lid and cook on low heat till done.
- Can add some hot water if needed.
- Now add chopped fresh coriander and 2 tsp melted ghee and fluff with a fork.
- Serve hot with plain yogurt, boondi raita or curry.
Mughlai Chana Daal Pulav
Servings: 4 people