kharya/urad daal vada-Crisp pattices made with Split white lentil,coconut and fresh spices.
Kharyo is a traditional snack made with split urad daal with skin.Soaked white lentil/urad daal is ground in a coarse paste and then coconut and some fresh spices are add in the mixture.The round and flat pattice are then deep fried to make a crisp snack.Saw this in a t.v show and loved it.This is a perfect snack for monsoon and winter season.best served with coconut chutney or a tangy and spicy dip.
Prep time-15 min
Cooking time-10 min
- Split Urad daal /white lentil with husk-1 cup
- Fresh coconut,grated-2 tbsp
- Ginger,chopped- 1 tbsp
- Green chilies,finely chopped-1 tbsp
- Mango powder- 1tsp *
- Asafoetida-1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves ,chopped- approx-15
- Fresh coriander,chopped-2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds- 1tsp
- Salt-to taste
- Cooking oil-to fry
- Wash and soak urad daal in enough water for 2.5 hours.
- Drain the water and grind daal to make a thick and slightly coarse paste.
- Take out the mixture in a bowl.
- Add all the ingredients and spices in the mixture and mix well.
- Grease 2 plastic sheets with some oil and place a small ball of mixture over it.
- Press with other sheet to make a smooth and slightly flat disc.
- Heat oil in a deep and wide pan.
- Lift the pattice with wet hands and gently slide in hot oil.(few at a time)
- Deep fry on medium heat till golden and crisp,drain on a paper napkin.
- Serve hot.
Serving suggestions-serve with a tangy and spicy dip or with tomato ketchup.
*can also add some chopped raw mango pieces instead of mango powder.