Khasta kachori-Fried flaky puff pastries stuffed with different type of savory or sweet stuffings
Khasta Kachori is the favourite snack or street food of North India ,specially popular in Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh. Kachoris are Indian style Fried flaky puff pastries stuffed with different type of savory or sweet stuffings.I have also posted the most popular kachori of Uttar Pradesh -Urad daal kachori served with Dubki wale aloo and Khatta metha kaddu,and my favourite Mint flavoured Aloo ki khasta kachori and the mildly flavoured Corn kachori.
Preparation time-20 minutes
Cooking time-20 minutes
- Yellow lentil/Moong daal-3/4 cup
- Cooking oil- 2 tbsp
- Green chilies,chopped-1.5 tsp
- Ginger,grated- 2 tsp
- Mint leaves,chopped- 2 tbsp
- Fresh coriander,chopped- 2 tbsp
- Fennel seeds/saunf,crushed-2.5 tsp
- Coriander seeds,crushed- 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds- 1tsp
- Asafoetida- 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder-2.5 tsp
- Garam masala- 1 tsp
- Mango powder-2 tsp
- Salt-to taste
For the dough-
- Refined flour/maida- 350 gms *
- Cooking oil-1/2 cup
- Baking powder-1/4 tsp
- Lemon juice- 1/2 tsp
- Salt- 1 tsp
To make the stuffing-
- Wash and soak moong daal in enough water for an hour.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan and add fennel seeds,corinader seeds and cumin seeds.
- When seeds start crackling add asafoetida and chopped green chilies.
- Now drain all the water from the soaked moong daal and add in the pan and saute for few seconds.
- Add approx a cup of water and salt,mix and cover and cook the daal on low heat till done(soft and fully cooked)
- Now add rest of spices,ginger and mix well , mash slightly while mixing.
- Add chopped mint and coriander leaves and remove the pan from the flame.
- Wait till the mixture comes to room temperature.
Kachori dough –
- Take a wide bowl and add refined flour,baking powder and salt.mix
- Add cooking oil and lemon juice and rub and mix well.
- Add cold water and make a soft dough.
- Cover and rest the dough for approx .20 minutes.
- Now make equal size balls from the dough.
- Roll the dough ball slightly and stuff with equal portion of daal mixture.
- Close the ball properly by gathering all the sides together.
- Dust the stuffed ball with dried flour and roll slightly to make a medium thick disc/kachori.
- Heat cooking oil in a wide and deep pan and slide the kachori gently in the pan and fry on medium heat.
- When it get puffed from one side then turn the side .
- Fry till they become crisp and get a nice golden colour on both the sides.
- Drain on a paper napkin when done.
- Serve hot