Kantola ki subzi -Spine gourd stir fried with potato and Indian spices-
Kantola /kankoda /Kakroll is from the gourd family and is a seasonal vegetable.It looks like a spiky melon and taste almost similar to bittergourd, sans its bitterness,or a mix taste of bitter gourd and parval.
Kantola ki subzi is my daughters favorite stir fry,so today I am posting this recipe specially for her,so she can try this soon.
Its a very healthy vegetable as it possess very good nutritive and medicinal properties. It is rich in fibre and vitamins and is cooling to the body,good for cough,fever,controls the sugar level,increase the appetite and good for kidneys ,so its a very good vegetable to have during summers and monsoon.
Prep time-10 min
Cooking time-20 min
- Fennel /Saunf powder -1 tsp
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
- Chili powder-1 tsp
- Mango powder- 1tsp
- Coriander powder-1 tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Mustard oil-3 tbsp
- Cumin seeds-1 tsp
- Asafoetida- 1/3 tsp
- Wash and soak kantolas in water for 5 minutes.
- Rub and wash well (no need to peel them)and then trim the edges.
- Slice lengthwise to make medium size pieces.
- Wash and make similar pieces of potatoes with out peeling.(can also make without adding potatoes)
- Heat oil in a heavy pan and add cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- When seeds become golden add turmeric powder and chopped vegetables.
- Stir fry for few seconds,add then add salt.
- Mix and cover the pan and cook on low heat till done.
- Keep stirring in between,
- Add fennel powder,mango powder,chili powder and coriander powder.
- Stir fry for few seconds and then cover and simmer for a minute.
- Serve with daal-rice or roti