Makai na khatta vada-Fried corn bread -specialty from the state of Gujarat
Makai ka khatta vada/Dhebra is an authentic and traditional recipe from Rural Gujarat which I learned from a good friend of mine.Corn meal,crushed corn kernels, some whole corn niblets and few spices are added with curd to make a dough and then small vada/disc are made by pressing with your palms and then deep fried in hot oil.These vadas /dhebras can be served as a snack along with green chutney and hot tea,or as a main course dish with spicy aloo curry and fried green chilies.
Do Try These delicious Gujarati Recipes-
- Gujarati Choraphali Snack
- Gujarati special Surati Daal
- Methi Thepla
- Palak Methi Muthiya
- Khaman Dhokla
Prep time-10 min
Cooking time-8 min
- Corn meal/makki ka atta-1 cup
- Corn kernals/makai dana-1/2 cup
- Whole corn kernals/sabut makai dana-2 tbsp
- Green chilies,chopped- 2
- Ginger,chopped- 1tsp
- Cumin seeds/jeera-1 tsp
- Asafoetida/Hing-1/4 tsp
- Turmeric /Haldi-a pinch of
- Yogurt/dahi-approx 1 cup
- Salt- to taste
- Grind together green chilies,ginger and 1/2 cup fresh corn kernals and make a paste.
- Take corn meal/makki ka atta in a wide bowl and add the ground corn paste in it.
- Now add fresh whole corn kernals,cumin seeds,asafoetida and salt and mix well.
- Add curd and make a medium soft dough.(no need to add water,can use some more curd if needed)
- Take a thick polythene sheet and apply some oil on it.
- Place a small ball from the dough and press it with your palm or with another piece of polythene to make a round medium thick vada/disc.
- Heat enough oil in a deep pan or kadhai.
- Add the vada in hot oil and deep fry on medium hot oil till crisp and golden in colour.
- You can also half fry the vada first and then refry them when you want to serve.(pic is of half fried vadas,I refried them again)
- Serve hot with potato curry,fried green chilies and coriander chutney.
If you want to avoid deep frying then can also shallow fry it in little oil or make paratha.