Mysore rasam -Lentil and tomato soup-a specialty of Southern India
Rasam is a type of thin and spicy lentil soup which is an integral part of any South Indian meal but is different from the popular sambhar. There are many version of rasam, some are made with lentil and some are made without using any lentil ,taste almost like a spicy tomato or vegetable broth.
Freshly ground spice powder(Rasam powder) is added to give a fresh aroma and flavour but now readymade rasam powders of good brands are easily available in the market so you can use them too.I have also posted the recipe of Pineapple rasam
Rasam can be served as a appetizer, soup or to serve as an accompaniment with idli,dosa,uttapam or vada.
Prep time-10 min
Cooking time -10 min
Cuisine- South India
- Tuvar daal-4 -5 tbsp
- Green chili-1
- Turmeric-1/2 tsp
- Rasam powder-1.5 tsp
- Jaggary -1.5 tsp
- Thick tamarind pulp- 2.5 tsp
- Fresh coriander- 2 tbsp
- Salt- to taste
- Cooking oil- 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida- 1/2tsp
- Whole red chilies- 2
- Curry leaves- 8
- Ghee- 1tsp
For Rasam powder-*
- Whole Coriander seeds-1.5 tsp
- Cumin seeds-1 tsp
- Peppercorn- 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds- a pinch of
- Mustard seeds- a pinch of
- Asafoetida – pinch of
- Whole red chilies-2
- Cooking oil- 1/2 tsp
- Rasam powder-Heat 3/4 tsp oil in a pan and add all the ingredient listed in rasam powder ,Roast on low heat till it start giving a nice aroma,then grind to make a fine powder OR use ready made rasam powder.
- Wash and soak tuver daal for 15 minutes
- Add Roughly chopped tomato and 1/2 cup of water in the cooker and pressure cook for a whistle.
- Take out the boiled tomatoes and gently mash them with a laddle or whisk.
- Now add tuvar daal,chopped green chili,I tsp oil and approx 1.5 cups of water in the cooker.
- Pressure cook for 3-4 whistles or till daal become soft and mushy.
- Open the cooker and mash the boiled daal.
- In a pan add mashed tuvar daal,mashed tomato, salt,turmeric,tamarind extract,1/4 tsp asafoetida and approx 3 cups of water and cook on medium heat for 2 -3 minutes
- Now add 2 tsps of rasam powder,jaggary and few curry leaves and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Heat oil in a small pan and add mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- When seeds start crackling add asafoetida ,curry leaves and whole red chilies.
- Add the tempering in the boiling rasam.
- Switch off the flame and add chopped fresh coriander .
- Serve hot with a spoon of ghee on top.(optional)
Serving suggestions-serve with rice,vada or idlis
*Readymade Rasam powder is very easily available in all the Indian stores.
You can also add whole tomatoes along with the daal and cook together at step 5.