Set Dosa /Sponge dosa is a specialty tiffin variety of dosa from Karnataka.
They are soft, spongy and fluffy. Set dosas are in many ways similar to pancakes. Besides their texture, they are also served in stacks of 3-4 dosas. They are soft and light and so are very good for breakfast and tiffin boxes.
Set dosas are smaller and thicker in size as compared to regular dosa, and unlike regular dosas, set dosas don’t need a lot of oil for cooking. You also don’t need to spread the batter like regular dosas – just pour the batter on a hot griddle and let it spread by itself. It will look like a thick and spongy pancake. As poha/aval is also used to make dosa so it is also called Aval dosa/Attukula dosa
Set dosa are usually served with vegetable curry, tomato chutney and coconut chutney.
There are different versions and ratios of making set dosas. The version I’m posting here is what my daughter likes best.
- Raw Rice-3 cup
- Poha/aval/pressed rice-3/4 cup
- Urad daal/white lentil-1/4 cup
- Sabudana /sago pearls- 1.5 tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds/methidana- 1tsp
- Yogurt/curd- 3/4 cup
- Water- approx 1.5 cup
- Soda bi carb- 1/2 tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Wash rice and urad daal well.
- In a bowl mix rice,urad daal,methi dana and poha and soak in enough water for approx 5-6 hours.
- Mix together yogurt/curd and water and make buttermilk.( can use laban instead)
- Drain water from the soaked daal rice mixture and then grind the soaked daal,rice ,poha and sabudana with yogurt mixture(buttermilk) to make a smooth batter of pouring consistency.
- Add salt and soda bi carb in the mixture and mix well.
- Cover and let it ferment overnight or for approx 8 hours.
- Heat a heavy cast iron or flat nonstick griddle/tawa.
- Wipe it with a cloth diped in little water and few drops of oil.
- Now pour 2 laddles of batter on the hot tawa.
- Let it spread by itself like a thick pancake,no need to spread with the laddle .
- Let it cook on medium heat then drizzle some oil on it and on the sides and let it cook for around 1.5 to 2 minute..(you can also cover it with a lid)
- Then turn the side and cook it just for a minute,no need to cook further .
- Serve hot with tomato chutney,coconut chutney and rasam.
- Green chilies,chopped-2
- Curry leaves-8
- Cumin seeds-1 tsp
- Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida-1/4 tsp
- Turmeric-a pinch of
- Cooking oil-2.5 tsp
- Chili powder- 1/4 tsp
- Sugar- 1/4 tsp(optional)
- Salt- to taste
- Heat 1.5 tsp of oil in a pan and add cumin and asafoetida.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and green chilies,stir fry for few seconds.
- Add salt and turmeric,cover and cook on low heat.
- When tomato become soft then blend and make a smooth puree.
- Heat 1 tsp oil and add mustard and curry leaves.
- When seeds start crackling pour the tempering over the tomato puree.
- Add chili powder,pinch of sugar in the tomato puree and give it a boil.
- Add fresh coriander and serve with set dosa.