Soaked and coarsly ground chana daal is mixed with grated raw mango and fresh coconut and a simple tempering is added to give flavour and a simple,quick and healthy side dish is ready to serve.
Prep time- 15 min
Cooking time- 2 min
- Chana daal/bengal gram- 1 cup
- Raw mango,grated -1 cup *
- Green chili,chopped-3
- Ginger,grated- 1.5 tsp
- Curry leaves,chopped -5
- Dried whole red chilies- 4
- Fresh coconut, grated- 1/3 cup
- Fresh coriander,chopped- 3 tbsp
- Sugar- 2.5 tbsp
- Salt- to taste
- Cooking oil- 2.5 tbsp
- Mustard seeds /Rai – 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds /Jeera- 1 tsp
- Asafoetida /hing- 1/3 tsp
- Chili powder-1 tsp
- Turmeric- 3/4 tsp
- Curry leaves-5
- Wash and soak 1 cup chana daal in enough water for 4 hours.
- Drain water and coarsly crush the daal along with green chilies(take care that we need thick and coarse daal ,so don’t make a fine paste)
- In a bowl add the crushed daal, grated coconut, grated raw mango, ginger,chopped coriander, salt and sugar in a bowl and mix well.
- Tempering-heat oil in a small pan and add the whole red chilies and fry till they become crisp.
- Now remove the fried chilies from the pan and keep aside.
- Add cumin and mustard seeds in the same pan,when cumin start crackling then add asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Now remove the pan from the flame and add turmeric and chili powder and immedietely pour the tempering over the daal mixture and mix.
- Crush the fried red chilies in small pieces and add in the daal mixture and mix well.
- Serve as a snack,side dish or salad.
*If raw mango/Kairi is not available then can substitute it with lemon juice