Stuffed green chilies -Green chilies stuffed with a tangy Indian spice mixture and stir fried-an instant chili pickle
Green chilis are used to make different variety of pickles and stir fries ,there are numurous version of making this, depend upon individual and regional taste ,I love making different types of chil pickle .
To make this stuffed green chili pickle I have used dry spices in which the flavour of fennel seeds are prominant ,the spices are mixed with little oil and then stuffed in chilies ,then the chilies are tempered and stir fried.
Prep time-15 min
cooking time-8 min
Cuisine -North Indian
- Green chilies/Hari mirch -200 gms *
- Fennel seeds/Saunf,coarsely crushed -2.5 tbsp
- Coriander powder/Dhaniya -3 tbsp
- Mango powder/Amchoor -2 tbsp
- Chili powder/Lal Mirch-1/2 tsp *
- Turmeric powder/Haldi-3/4 tsp
- Asafoetida/Hing-1/2 tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Cooking oil-2.5 tbsp
- Cooking oil-3 tbsp
- Mustard seeds /Rai- 1tsp
- Wash and wipe the chilies and then slit lengthwise.
- Take a bowl and add all the spices and 2.5 tbsp oil and mix well.
- Stuff the mixture in the green chilies and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a heavy pan and add mustard seeds.
- When seed start crackling add 1/4 tsp turmeric and the stuffed chilies.
- Gently stir and mix the chilies and cover the pan with a lid.
- Cook on low heat for 8-10 minutes.
- Keep stiring and changing the side of chilies for about 2-3 times.
- When chilies become soft and get some brown spots then remove from the pan.
- Serve with roti,poori or daal-rice combo.
1-These chilies stays fresh for 3-4 days at room temperature and for a fortnight in the refrigerator,so can be used as a pickle or as a travel food.
2- Use small and mild variety of green chilies to make this.Bhavnagri,jalapeno,poblano,Banana peppers etc
3- Addition of chili powder is optional and depends on the variety of green chilies used.
4- You can also add 1.5 tbsp of dry roasted gram flour/Besan in the stuffing.