Tamarind rice- A tangy and flavourful rice -Specialty of South India
Tamarind rice/puliyohara/puliyodarai /Temple puliyohara is a specialty rice preparation of South India.There are few version of making this tamarind rice depends of every state and the taste of every household.It is a specialty from Tamil Iyengars community.
Ihis is a spicy and tangy rice preparation which is a complete meal in it self and a great travel food too.Puliyodarai / tamarind rice is also a popular prasad offered in South Indian temples.
A spice mix is prepared by roasting selected spices and lentils and then they are mixed in tamarind sauce which is referred as -pulikaichal or puliyodarai masala.
Prep time-15 min
Cooking time-30 minutes
- Raw rice-1.5 cup
- Peanuts/Moongphali-1/4 cup
- Tamarind/Imli,soaked-size of 2 lemons
- Bengal gram/Chana daal-1.5 tbsp
- White lentil/Urad daal-1.5 tbsp
- Curry leeaves-12
- Fenugreek seeds/Methi dana-1/2 tsp
- Jaggary/Gur- 2 tsp(optional)
- Whole red chilies- 4
- Green chilies,chopped-2
- Ginger,chopped- 1.5 tsp
- Asafoetida-1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds/Rai- 1tsp
- Cooking oil-4 tbsp
To roast and grind-
- Sesame seeds/Till-1.5 tbsp
- Coriander seeds/Sabut Dhaniya-1.5 tbsp
- Asafoetida/Hing-1/3 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds/Methi dana-3/4 tsp
- Whole red chilies-3-4
- Wash and soak rice for 20 minutes and then boil in enough water till done.
- Drain the boiled rice on a colander to remove all the extra water.
- In a pan add 1.5 tsp of oil and add all the ingredients for roasting-sesame seeds,coriander seeds,fenugreek seeds,whole red chili and asafoetida.
- Roast them to a nice golden colour and then grind to make a fine powder.
- Soak tamarind in 1.5 cup of warm water for about 15 minutes.
- Mash the tamarind well and squeeze the pulp.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the peanuts and fry them on low heat till they become golden in colour.
- Now add mustard seeds,urad daal,chana daal,fenugreek seeds and saute till daal become golden in colour.
- Add curry leaves,whole red chilies,green chilies,asafoetida, and turmeric and saute.
- Then add the tamarind pulp ,jaggary,ginger and salt and cook on medium heat .
- Cook till the mixture started to thicken and oil start floating on the sides of the pan.
- Now add the boiled rice and the ground spice mix and mix every thing gently.
- Cover the pan for minimum 1 hour so rice will absorb all the flavours and the daal used in tempering will soften a bit.
Serving suggestions-serve along with some papad,chips,curd or rasam