It has numerous health benefits, is a great detoxifier, good for the stomach and liver, helps in curing hemorrhoids, jaundice, urinary tract infections and reduces the chances of cancer etc.
prep time-10 min
cooking time-10 min
- Radish (Mooli), chopped – 2 Cups
- Radish leaves, chopped – 5 cups
- Green Chilies – 4
- Mustard Oil – 4 tbsp *
- Carom seeds (Ajwain) – 3/4 tsp
- Asafoetida-1/4 tsp
- Turmeric-1/2 tsp
- Salt-1 tsp
- Chili powder-1 tsp
- Mango powder-1 tsp
- Coriander powder-1 tsp
- Wash reddish and the leaves .Use only the fresh and green leaves,do not use the leaves which are yellow in colour.
- Scrap the radish and then chop the root and leaves along with the steams
- Pressure cook them with a glass of water for 2 whistle or boil till done.*
- Drain and gently squeeze out the water from the boiled vegetable.(can use this water to make chapati/roti dough)
- Heat oil in a pan and add carom seeds ,as soon as it start crackling add asafoetida and chopped green chilies.stir for few seconds.(don’t overcook ajwain /carom seeds else it will taste bitter)
- Now add turmeric and boiled radish,mix and saute for a minute.
- Add salt and all the spices ,mix and cook on medium flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Keep stirring in between,then cook on slow flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve hot with chapati.
1- You can directly add the chopped vegetables(with out boiling ) at step 5 and cook on low heat till done (dry up the water completely). Tastes great both ways.
2-Traditionally mustard oil is used in preparing this dish, but you may use any vegetable oil of your choice.
3-You may adjust the quantity of root and leaves according to your preference and availability. This dish can be made just with the root, if the greens aren’t available.