Moth beans or Matki is a very healthy bean.It a small and oblong in shape, looks very similar to moong beans,but is brown in colour.It is a great source of protein, fiber ,Iron,calcium etc.
Whole Moth beans can be used to make curries,stir fries or can be used to add in salads and pilafs.So I always make bean sprouts to use in various dishes.I have already posted -healthy Moong Sprout Salad , Kabuli Chana Chat, and the popular Masala Kala Chana .Today I am sharing another sprout chat made with matki beans which can be served as a chat,breakfast or as a healthy side dish.
The most popular dish made with these tiny moth beans are the famous-Maharashtrian Misal Pav
Prep time-5 min
Cooking time-10 min
- Moth beans /Matki- 3/4 cup
- Black chick pea/Kala chana- 1.5 tbsp
- Tomato,chopped- 3/4 cup
- Green chili,chopped -1 tsp
- Ginger ,chopped- 1tsp
- Coriander powder- 1tsp
- Chili powder- 1tsp
- Turmeric -3/4 tsp
- Black salt- 1/4 tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Lemon juice- 1 tsp
- Fresh coriander- 1tbsp
- Cooking oil- 2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds- 1tsp
- Asafoetida- 1/4 tsp
- Wash moth /matki and kala chana together and soak in enough water overnight or for minimum 8 hours.
- Drain and wash with water,drain all the water and keep in a colander ,cover and let them sprout for 2 days.
- Then wash them well with water to avoid any odour.
- Heat oil in the pressure cooker and add cumin seeds.
- When cumin start crackling add asafoetida,chopped green chili, ginger and curry leaves.
- Then add the chopped tomato and salt and cover with a lid and cook on low heat.
- When tomato become soft then add all the spices and stir.
- Now add the sprouts and stir to mix well.
- Now add 3/4 cup water and mix.
- Close the cooker and pressure cook for 3 whistles on medium heat.
- When the pressure cool down completely then open the cooker and add lemon juice and fresh coriander.
- Mix well and serve hot or cold.
Serving suggestions- Serve as a snack or as a side dish with steamed rice or any bread of your choice.