Muji chatin is a popular recipe from Kashmiri Cuisine.it is made by sauteing grated raddish in mustard oil,This is like a crisp salad or a side dish. Radish is called muji in Kashmir.Though it is not ground to make a paste like regular chutney but still it is referred as chutney.The use of mustard oil gives a pungent and smoky taste in Muji chatin and only salt and kashmiri chili powder are added into it. Addition of walnuts and lemon juice depend on individual choice.There is one more variation of making Mujj chatin which I will post later.
This Muji chatin can be served with daal,rice combo or chapati and curry and the leftover chutney can be used to stuff in parathas.
- Daikon Radish/mooli, grated -2 cups
- Walnuts,crushed – 1.5 tbsp
- Green chilies,chopped – 3/4 tsp
- Fresh coriander,chopped -1.5 tbsp
- Lemon juice – 1.5 tsp
- Dry ginger powder /Saunth – 1/3 tsp
- Kashmiri chili powder – 1tsp
- Cumin seeds /Jeera – 1/2 tsp
- Carom seeds /Ajwain -1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida/hing -1/4 tsp
- Salt -to taste
- Mustard oil – 1.5 tbsp
- Scrape and grate radish with a thick grater.
- Heat oil in a pan and then add cumin ,carom and asafoetida.
- When cumin start crackling add chopped green chilies,chili powder and grated radish.
- Stir fry on high flame for 2 minutes.
- Add salt and ginger powder and stir fry for about 2-3 minutes.(to remove all the moisture)
- Take out in a bowl and let it cool down slightly.
- Add lemon juice, crushed walnuts and chopped coriander.
- Serve hot or cold