Most of the flours flours used during Fasting and Navratri are gluten free .-Rajgiri/Amaranth flour,Kuttu ka ataa/Buckwheat flour, Sabudana /sago, Samu/ Barnyarn Millet, Singhora /water chestnut flour are few among the favourite fasting foods.today I am posting the very popular fasting food-Rajgiri ki poori
All the tuber vegetables are used during fasting days i.e Potato,Sweet potatao/shakar kand,Taro root/Arbi ,Yam/suran ,Pumpkin /kaddu are the widely used vegetables.
If you are looking for more fasting recipes/vrat ka khana then check-Kuttu ki poori
Aam papad chutney, Aloo ka halwa , Sama patties and many more recipes in my blog
Prep time-10 minutes
Cooking time -15 minutes
- Rajgiri atta/Amaranth seed flour-1.5 cup
- Taro root/Arbi, boiled and mashed-1/2 cup*
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Pepper powder -3/4 tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Cooking oil/Ghee – to deep fry
- In a big and wide bowl add all the ingredients.
- Mix and mash well ,then add water and make a medium soft dough.
- Cover and rest for 5 minutes.
- Knead the dough and make small balls of equal size.
- Dust the balls with rajgiri flour and roll to make medium thick pooris/discs.
- If you have difficality in rolling the pooris then place the dough ball between two greased thick plastice sheets and then roll.
- Heat oil /ghee in a deep pan ,when become hot then gently slide the rolled poori in medium hot oil.
- Press gently with a slotted spoon ,so it will puff nicely.
- Fry from both sides till golden in colour.
- Drain on a paper napkin and serve hot
- Potatoes, boiled and chopped-4 (medium)
- Cooking oil/ghee-2.5 tbsp
- Cumin seeds /Jeera- 1.5 tsp
- Sesame seeds /till- 1tsp(optional)
- Asafoetida/hing- 1/4 tsp
- Pepper powder/kali mirch-1 tsp *
- Mango powder/Amchoor- 1 tsp
- Fresh coriander/mint,chopped -1.5 tbsp
- Salt- to taste.
- Peel and slice boiled potatoes in medium thick slices or cubes.
- Heat oil or ghee in a pan and add cumin seeds.
- When cumin start crackling add sesame seeds and asafoetida and cook till cumin become golden in colour.
- Now add chopped potatoes and salt.mix gently.
- Let it cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add pepper and mango powder and mix .
- Now cook for 3-4 minutes,so the potatoes gets a nice golden colour,stir only once or twice.
- Add chopped fresh coriander or mint,mix and serve .
Serving suggestions-serve Poori with jeera aloo,yoghurt or raita.
*you may substitute boiled taro root with boiled potato to make rajgiri poori