Crispy and spicy gram flour and potato crisps
Making Aloo bhujiya Sev is easy and quick. Gramflour and a few spices are added to mashed potatoes to make a dough and then drawn into thin sevs and deep fried in hot oil. Sev are made with a special instrument branded as sev maker or kitchen press.
Though Sev is mainly a snack and but also used as a garnish in most Indian chaats or street food and is a very important ingredient in the popular bhel poori.
Today is the festival of Holi and on this colourful festival we welcome our guests with sweets and savory snacks, and though there is a huge variety of sweets and snacks very easily available in the market but as a tradition we make some at home ourselves on festivals. Aloo bhujiya Sev are one of the easiest snacks to make and have a fairly long shelf life.
Wishing you all a very Happy and Colourful Holi !!!
Aloo Bhujiya Sev / Savoury Potato Strings
- 350 grams Potatoes / Aloo boiled
- 2 cup Gram flour / Besan
- a pinch Cloves / Lavang powdered
- 1.5 tsp Dry Mint / Sookha Pudina
- 1.5 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1/3 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Salt / Namak
- Boil, peel and grate the potato with a fine grater.
- In a bowl take the grated potato and mix all the spices in it.
- Add the gram flour and mix it properly.
- It should form a soft and smooth dough.
- Now grease a sev maker or kitchen press .
- Attach the thin or medium thickness sized disc/plate to the kitchen press.
- Make a log of the dough and and fill it in the kitchen press.
- Heat enough oil in a wide and deep pan.
- Now press the sev directly in the pan by pressing the dough through the kitchen press.
- Let it cook on medium heat from one side. Do not stir it in between.
- When it becomes slightly crisp then flip it over carefully .
- Now let it cook from other side till golden and crisp.
- Drain on a paper napkin and let it cool down completely.
- Then crush them slightly to make small pieces.
- Store in a air tight jar.
- Quantity of gram flour depends on the quality of potato,you may need little less or some more gram flour to add in the potato mixture to adjust the consistency of the dough.
- Instead of adding mint powder you can add garam masala, tomato powder,lemon juice,pepper powder or any flavour of your choice.