Kanji Vada is a popular drink of North India especially in Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh. Kanji is basically a fermented drink made with ground mustard seeds and few spices.This is mainly made during winters and you can add black carrots and beets to make kanji ki gajar, or kanji pickle.
During Holi a delicious and different version is made using lentil nuggets soaked in the tangy and sour fermented kanji, which is popularly known as Kanji Vadas. Kanji is very good for digestion . It is made after Holi and Diwali so that we can digest the heavy food consumed during these festivals.
The lentil used to make kanji vada depends on regional and personal choice. Some prefer to make them with yellow lentils/moong daal only, Some add little urad daal with yellow moong daal, some use mix lentils, but in Rajasthan the vadas/nuggets are made mainly with either yellow moong daal or with a combination of moth daal and moong daal. You can use any combination they taste great every way.
How To Make Kanji Vada’s
For making kanji use either boiled and cooled water or use mineral water. Mustard seeds are ground and added in the water to give tangy taste. You can use grind black mustard seeds or use the yellow rai kuria , both work fine just a slight difference in colour. After adding mustard powder, salt, chili powder, turmeric and asfoetida let the water ferment for around 3-4 days. the fermentation time depends on the heat in the climate,it may take longer time in winter.
Soak lentil overnight then wash again and grind to make a fine medium thick batter. Deep fry small vada’s or pakodi’s in hot oil.When the water taste sour then add the fried vada’s in it and let the vada’s soak the flavors for a day or minimum 5-6 hours. Now you can refrigerate the kanji vada’s and serve chilled kanji when required.
For making Easy and Instant kanji vada you can add besan boondi instead of making daal vada’s.
You can also try these delicious kanji recipes-
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback!
You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Kanji Vada Recipe
- 1.5 liter Water
- 2.5 tbsp Mustard powder/ Pisi hui Rai
- 1.5 tsp Mustard Oil optional
- 1 tsp Black Salt/ Kala Namak
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida/ Hing
- 1.5 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric/ Haldi
Foe Making Vada's
- 3/4 cup Yellow Lentil/ Moong Daal
- 1/4 cup White Lentil/ Urad daaal check notes
- 1 tsp Ginger/ Adrak chopped
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida/ hing
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- For making Kanji-Take a big glass or a ceramic jar or use a earthern pot/matki and add water,mustard oil and all the ingredients to make kanji,mix well and cover with a muslin cloth
- Keep the jar in a warm place or in sunlight for few hours daily if possible and keep stirring the water 2-3 times a day.
- When the water taste sour its ready to use.((it may take approx.3-6 days, depending on the climate.
- Vada-Soak moong daal and urad daal/ moth daal in enough water overnight.
- Then drain,wash and grind the lentils with ginger and make a medium thick and smooth paste.
- Take the paste in a bowl,add salt,asafoetida and chili powder.
- Mix and beat the mixture well to make it light and fluffy.
- Heat enough oil in a wide and deep pan to deep fry. Make medium sized round vadas/pakoris by dropping the batter with a spoon or with wet fingers,in hot oil.
- Make 4-5 vadas at a time,don't over crowd the pan.Fry vada's from both the sides on medium flame,till nicely golden in colour.
- Remove vada's from the pan, let them cool down slightly and then directly add in the fermented water, OR soak in salted water for approx 2 hours.
- Squeeze the water from the vadas and then add in the fermented sour kanji (if soaked in water)
- Wait for a a day or few hours minimum so the vada become soft and soak in the kanji flavours then start using.
- You can also add boondi in the kanji if you don't have time to make vada's.
2-After the kanji become sour, keep it refrigerated up to 2 weeks.
3-First boil and cool the water or use mineral water to make kanji.
4-You can also add carrots,beets,turnip or potato in it . 5-You can either make vada's with only moong daal or mix some urad daal or moth daal.