Condiments, pickles and preserves are the integral part of Indian cuisine. Varieties of Jams and jellies are made with seasonal fruits but the most popular are pickles and chutneys as they can be served with snacks and as a side dish with main course meal.
Pickles and chutneys are mainly of two types-instant ones which have short shelf life,and the one which have long shelf life. During season the long shelf life ones are made in large quantity to use through out the year.
Fruity Pineapple and pepper chutney ,Apple and raw mango chutney and the sweet and tangy multi purpose Tomato chutney are the most popular instant chutneys in my house,used to make chat or to serve with snacks to make them more appetizing.
This lemon chutney or lemon pickle is a specialty from the city of Indore.It has a fusion of all the tastes-sweet,sour,salty,slightly bitter and spicy.It taste some what similar to lemon pickle.I learned this from a friend of mine who is from Indore.
Cooking time-20 min
- Lemon -500 gms
- Sugar-500 gms
- Chili powder-2.5 tsp
- Salt-to taste
- Ginger,grated- 2 tsp
- Wash and wipe lemons (choose small Indian lemon with thin skin) with a soft cloth.
- Chop lemons into small pieces and remove the pips.
- Grind the chopped pieces in the mixer to make a paste.(it’s fine to have little chunky paste,no need to make it very smooth )
- Take a heavy bottom pan add lemon paste and sugar and cook on slow flame.
- When it started to thicken then add grated ginger,salt and chili powder.
- Simmer till you get a soft jam like consistency.
- Store in a glass jar when cool down completely.
- Let it mature for a week then start using,can be used immediately but can taste slightly bitter now and after a week it will taste better as lemon absorb the flavours.
- Grind the chopped lemon, sugar, ginger, salt and chili powder in the mixer and make a smooth paste.
- Store in a glass bottle and keep in direct sunlight for a day.
- Rest for a week then start using.
- Grind lemon pieces in the mixer.
- Take a glass jar, add sugar, salt, chili powder, ginger and lemon paste.
- Mix every thing properly.
- Keep the jar in sun light till the sugar melts and become a thick syrup.