Muthiya is a popular snack from the state of Gujarat. Muthiya are made in two ways-steamed and deep fried. Muthiyas are made by using various vegetable and flours.Every one have their own favorite version and combination of ingredients.The most popular among all are-bottle gourd,radish,cabbage ,methi and mix vegetables.
Grated vegetables are mixed with flour and spices to make a soft dough and then the dough is shaped in rolls and steamed .Then the steamed sliced muthiyas are tempered in mustard seeds and sesame seeds to give flavour and crunch
I have already posted Cabbage Muthiya ,today I tried mix vegetable muthiya with whatever vegetable I had in my refrigerator. Muthiyas are best served with green chutney and fried green chilies.
Prep time-15 min
Cooking time-30 min
- Cabbage/Patta gobhi, grated-1 cup
- Carrot/Gajar, grated-3/4 cup
- Corn/Makai ka dana, crushed coarsely-4 tbsp
- Spinach/palak, chopped-1 cup
- Cauliflower, grated- 1/2 cup
- Green chili/hari mirch, chopped- 2 tsp
- Fresh coriander,chopped-2 tbsp
- Wheat flour /atta -1 cup
- Gram flour/besan – 1/2 cup
- Semolina/sooji- 1/4 cup
- Flex seed powder- 1 tbsp
- Baking soda- 1/4 tsp
- Cooking oil- 2 tbsp
- Yogurt /dahi- 3 tbsp
- Lemon juice- 1.5 tbsp + 2 tsp
- Sugar- 1.5 tsp
- Turmeric/haldi- 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder /mirch- 2 tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Mustard seeds /rai- 1.5 tsp
- Sesame seeds /til- 2 tsp
- Asafoetida /hing- 1/4 tsp
- Cooking oil- 3.5 tbsp
- Green chilies,slit lengthwise-4
- Curry leaves- 8
- Take a big bowl and all the chopped and grated vegetables in it.
- Now add wheat flour,semolina, gram flour, yogurt and all the ingredients and mix well.
- Grease your palms with oil and make medium thick rolls from the mixture.
- Make all rolls and keep aside.
- In a big pan or in a steamer boil enough water.
- Grease the steamer plate or the metal rice strainer.
- Arrange all the rolls on the steamer plate and cover the pan with a lid.
- Steam cook for about 20-25 minutes.
- Check with a tooth pick, if it come out clean then it is done.
- Slice the steamed muthiyas .
- Heat oil in a pan and add the tempering ingredients.
- When seeds start crackling add the sliced muthiyas in it.
- Shallow fry on medium heat till well coated with the tempering.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and 2 tsp of lemon juice.
- Serve with green mint chutney.
- You can also make small rolls and deep fry them in hot oil instead of steaming them.
- If the mixture is too loose to handle then add some more flour,gramflour and semolina.
- Can add any vegetable of your choice.