It is easy and simple to cook and you can experiment and make a variety of dishes with this veggie .My family loves bottle gourd so I make variety of dishes with this.I have also posted Doodhi Yakhni, lauki halwa, Lauki raita , kofta curry , lauki chana dal. Today I made this simple and easy lauki moong daal subzi with fresh herbs and very little fat.The mild flavors and light on stomach curry is very good for summers.
Prep time-15 minutes
Cooking time- 10 minute
- Bottlegourd /Lauki-700 gms
- Yellow lentil/moong daal-1/4 cup
- Water-2.5 cup
- Turmeric-1/2 tsp
- Chili powder-1/4 tsp (optional)
- Salt-to taste
- Ginger,chopped-3/4 tsp
- Fresh coriander,chopped-2 tbsp
- lemon juice-1.5 tsp
- Sugar-1/4 tsp
- Ghee or cooking oil- 1.5 tbsp
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Green chilies,chopped-1 .5 tsp
- Curry leaves -8
- Asafoetida/hing – 1/2 tsp
- Whole red chilies-2
- Wash and soak moong daal/lentil in water for 10 minutes.
- Wash,peel and chop lauki/bottle gourd in medium size pieces.
- Heat ghee/oil in a pressure cooker,then add cumin seeds.
- As soon as seeds start crackling add all the ingredients of tempering.
- Stir fry till cumin become golden in colour.
- Now add soaked daal,chopped lauki, salt,turmeric and chili powder.
- Stir for few seconds and then add water and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles on medium heat or cook till become soft.
- Open the cooker when cool down completely and add ginger and a pinch of sugar(can add some hot water to adjust the consistency according to your preference)) and give it a boil.
- Now remove the cooker from the flame and add lemon juice and chopped coriander in the curry
- Serve with roti or any Indian bread.