Rice and rice preparations are favourite food in all the states of India,though it is the staple diet of southern India but in many North Indian states rice is also consumed on daily basis. Different variety of rice preparations are made according to individual choice and regional specialty.
This tangy tomato rice is a specialty from Southern India and there are so many variation of making this .I learned this recipe from a friend of mine and since then I make it often, This is also a easy and delicious recipe to use the leftover steamed rice .You can also add some boiled vegetables in it to make it more nutritious .This tomato rice is very good as a lunch box recipe or tiffin variety or to use as a travel food as you don’t need any accompaniment to go with this.
Cooking time-20 min
- Rice /chawal-1.5 cup
- Tomato,chopped-400 gms
- Ginger /adrak- 3/4 tsp
- Chili powder /lal mirch-1.5 tsp
- Turmeric /haldi -1/2 tsp
- Sambhar powder -1 tsp
- Mint leaves,chopped /pudina – 1/4 cup
- Salt – to taste
- Cooking oil – 4 tbsp
- Mustard seeds /rai -1.5 tsp
- Cumin /jeera – 1 tsp
- White lentil/Urad daal- 1 tsp
- Cashew nuts pieces /kaju tukda – 1/4 cup
- Curry leaves-10
- Green chilies,chopped-2 tsp
- Wash and soak rice for 15 minutes.
- Take a big pan add enough water and 1 tsp salt and boil.
- When water start boiling add the soaked rice and cook till almost done.
- Drain the boiled rice in a colander and keep aside.
- Grind tomato and make a smooth puree.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan.
- Add cashew pieces and fry till golden in colour ,drain and keep aside.
- Now add urad daal, mustard seed and cumin in the oil.
- When seeds start crackling add chopped green chilies and curry leaves.
- Now add the tomato puree and all the spices and cook till it started to thicken.
- Add chopped mint, boiled rice and fried cashews and mix gently.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 2-3 minutes on slow flame.
- Serve hot .