Missi roti and Khooba rotis are speciality of Rajasthan and also very popular in Punjab,U.P and all other North Indian states.Traditionally they are made on mitti ka chulha with coals or uplas,but for the authentic flavour can also be made in clay ovens/tandoors but as I don’t have the facility of both so I make it on gas stove.
Missi roti is best served with tempered green chilies Hari mirch ke tipore which is made with loads of fennel seeds in it ,it taste like pickle and have a good shelf life so a good recipe for travelling .My favourite daal from Rajasthani cuisine is the very healthy Panchmel daal it is blend of five lentils and vegetables,addition of vegetables is optional but in my family we love to add vegetable to add nutrition and taste .Other very popular curry to serve along is Gatta curry and tangy Raw mango chutney.So enjoy missi roti with these delicious Rajasthani delicacies
Prep time-8 min
Cooking time-15 min
Difficulty level -easy
- Gram flour /besan- 1 cup
- Wheat flour /atta- 1 cup
- Turmeric /haldi- 1/3 tsp
- Chili powder/mirch- 1 tSP
- Carom seeds /ajwain-1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida/ hing- 1/3 tsp
- Fresh coriander,chopped – 3 tbsp
- Grated ginger/adrak- 1tsp
- Green chilies,minced- 1 tsp
- Ghee or butter – 1.5 tbsp
- Salt- to taste
- In a big bowl add wheat flour and gram flour.
- Now add salt, ghee and all the spices.
- Add chopped fresh coriander or fenugreek leaves and mix well
- Now add water and make a medium dough.
- Cover and rest for 5 minutes.
- Make equal sized balls from the dough.
- Dust the ball with wheat flour and roll to make a medium thick disc/roti.
- Place the roti on a medium hot griddle/tawa and cook from both the side till it changes its colour and get few golden spots.
- Now remove roti from the griddle and cook on open flame on medium flame .
- Cook from both the sides till get few golden spots all over.
- Remove from the heat and apply ghee over it.
- Serve hot .
- You can add black gram flour/kala chaney ka besan instead of normal besan to make it more nutritious as kaley chane ka besan have more fibre in it.
- Can add chopped fresh methi instead of coriander in the dough.
- As gram flour is slightly heavy so don’t skip asafoetida and ajwain as they help to digest it.
- You can also add 1/2 cup wheat flour and 1/2 cup jawar (sorghum) flour.