Daliya Khichdi -To make healthy and filling breakfast daily is really a task, though their are many easy recipes like bread toast, Bread poha , Grilled potato sandwich and many other easy and quick recipes The very popular Maharashtrian dish-Aloo poha is also a very easy recipe to make and is my personal favorite . But if we want to make something healthy and filling then we have to do little extra effort. The new era’s health food -Oats ,broken wheat, bulgur are quite filling and healthy and we can make a variety of dishes with these ingredients.
Daliya /broken wheat is made with unrefined wheat so its full of fiber ,vitamins, Iron, phosphorous and minerals.In past few years oats have became very popular world wide and now in India it also become a favorite and popular breakfast but they are quite expensive and not very easily accessible in small towns and centers.
Broken wheat/daliya is equally healthy and nutritious like oats though not as quick to make as oats.You can make many sweet and savoury dishes with daliya,sweet milk porridge – Daliya ki kheer, or can make- Daliya and vegetable upma which take few minutes to make.
Today I am sharing a delicious, healthy and filling vegetable, daal and daliya khichdi which can be served for breakfast, main meal and can also be given to small kids and patients as it is not only very healthy but also very easy to digest.You don’t need any accompaniment to serve with this daliya khichdi , its a complete one pot meal but if you want to make it more interesting then curd,papad and salad are preferred to serve along with this vegetable daliya khichdi
If looking for more khichdi recipe then do try these-
- Yellow Moong Daal khichdi
- Tuvar Daal Khichdi
- Vegetable Daliya Khichdi
- Gujarati Vaghareli Khichdi
- Sama/ moraiya Ki Khichdi
Vegetable Daliya Khichdi
- 3/4 cup Yellow Lentil / Moong Daal (dhuli huee)
- 3/4 cup Broken wheat / Daliya
- 1/2 cup French beans Chopped
- 1/2 cup Carrot / Gajar Chopped
- 1/2 cup Green Peas / Hari Matar
- 1 medium Tomato / Tamatar Chopped
- 1 tbsp Green Chillies / Hari Mirch Chopped
- 2 tsp Ginger / Adrak
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 3 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- 3/4 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1.5 tsp Red chili powder
- Salt / Namak to taste
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil
Tempering/ waghar/ tadka
- 2 tbsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee *
- 1.5 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- Wash moong daal with water and keep aside.
- Heat oil in the pressure cooker and add daliya, 1/2 tsp cumin and green chilies and saute till the daliya change its colour and become slightly whitish (for about 2 minutes)
- Add washed daal, tomato, carrot, peas and french beans and stir.
- Add salt, turmeric, chili powder and 3 cups of water and mix.
- Pressure cook on medium heat for 3 whistles.
- Open the cooker when cool down completely.
- Add 2 cups of warm water and chopped ginger in the cooker and mix well.
- Let it come to a boil on medium heat and then simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Heat ghee in a small pan and add cumin and asafoetida.
- When cumin become red then add it in the khichdi and switch off the flame.
- Add lemon juice and fresh coriander and mix.
- Serve hot with a tsp of ghee on top.
- I have used yellow moong daal but you can also make this with green moong daal, masoor daal or tuvar daal but avoid using urad daal or chana daal if you are making this for kids or patients as these two daal's are quite heavy and not so easy to digest.
- Can add any vegetable of your choice like chopped potato,cauliflower,corn ,squash, bottle gourd,spinach etc.
- I have used 1/2 cup of each vegetable but you can increase the amount of vegetable if you wish.
- If you want to make it little watery then add 3 cups or 3.5 cups of water at step-7