Makhana or phool makhana is a seed from lotus plant so commonly used during fasting days.This is very easily available in all Indian stores and is very light in weight.
There are so many recipes made with phool makhana.it is also used to make curries and the roasted makhana powder is used to thicken curries.I have posted –Makhana ki kheer and makhana paag and both are fasting recipes.
It is also good for health as it is light on stomach and have many medicinal properties. It is rich in calcium, it regulates high blood pressure,good for arthritis, detoxify body, cure insomnia and very good to have as a post natal food .
This namkeen makhana is very filling and a low fat snack.Though it is very easy to make but it takes some time to become crisp so you have to roast it on low heat else it will become crisp from outside but the inner portion remain raw and chewy.
Cooking time-15 min
spice level -mild
Type-snack,vrat ka khana
- 50 gm -Makhana/ phool makhana /fox nut/Lotus seeds
- 2.5 tbsp -Ghee or oil
- As required -Rock salt /Sendha namak
- 1/2 tsp -Pepper powder/ Kali mirch
- 1/2 tsp -Mango powder /amchoor
- Heat ghee or oil in a pan.
- Add lotus seeds and roast on low heat and keep stirring.
- Roast for about 10-12 minutes till they become crisp.
- Press a roasted seed to check, if it is roasted well then it will break into pieces,and if it still feel soft and chewy then roast for some more times.
- When roasted then add the spices and 1 tsp of ghee and mix well.
- Let it cool down completely.
- Store in air tight jar.