Prep time-10 min
Cooking time – 15 min
Difficulty level – medium
Spice level – medium hot
Cuisine – Indian,Maharashtra
Type – snack,street food
- 250 gm -Potato,boiled
- 1 tbsp -Green chili,minced
- 1 tsp – Ginger,chopped
- 1/2 cup – Fresh coriander,chopped
- To taste -Salt/namak
- 1/3 tsp – Turmeric
- 1/4 tsp – Citric acid/tatri *or lemon juice
- 1 tsp -Mustard seeds /rai
- 1/4 tsp -white lentil /urad daal
- 1/4 tsp -Asafoetida /hing
- 8 – Curry leaves
- 1 tbsp – Cooking oil
- 1 cup -Gram flour /besan
- 2 tbsp – Rice flour/chawal ka atta
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric/haldi
- 1 tsp – Chili powder
- 1 tbsp -Hot oil
- To taste – Salt
- Pinch of- Soda-bi-carb (optional)
- Peel and coarsely mash the boiled potatoes(don’t make a paste of potatoes )
- Heat oil in a pan and add urad daal and mustard seeds.
- When seed start crackling add asafoetida,curry leaves and green chilies.
- Stir and then add turmeric powder and boiled potatoes.
- Add salt and citric acid and stir to mix every thing.
- Remove from the flame and add chopped fresh coriander.
- Mix it and let it cool down a bit.
- Now make small balls from this potato mixture and keep aside.
- In a bowl add gram flour, rice flour, salt,chili powder and turmeric.
- Add water to make a batter of pouring consistency.
- Add hot oil and mix well.
- Heat oil in a deep and wide pan.
- Dip the prepared potato balls in the gram flour batter.
- Gently add in the hot oil and deep fry on medium heat.
- Change the sides 2-3 times in between so get a nice colour from all the sides.
- Remove from the pan when become golden and crisp.
- Drain on a paper napkin to absorb the extra oil.
- Slit or poke hole in few green chilies and deep fry them.
- Drain on a paper napkin and sprinkle some chat masala or salt over them.
- Serve hot vadas with green chutney,ketchup and fried green chilies.
3-You can reduce the quantity of minced green chilies and add some red chili powder in the potato mixture.
4-for variation -you can also add some boiled peas at step -3