It is specially made during wedding or any big or small festive occasions and a winter special recipe.Though making laapsi is quite easy but often the cooked grains become little chewy if you directly add the sugar in the cooked daliya ,so add sugar in little water and boil till sugar dissolves and then adding it in the daliya makes a perfect laapsi.You can add any nuts of your choice but almonds and raisins taste great ,addition of saffron also gives a wonderful flavour.
Do try these delicious recipes made with Daliya-
Prep time- 5 min
Cooking time-15 min
Difficulty level -easy
- Broken wheat/ daliya/fada- 1 cup
- Clarified butter/ghee- 1/2 cup *
- Cloves/lavang- 3
- Green cardamom /elaichi -4
- Cinnamon stick/daalchini -1/3 inch
- Sugar/chini -1 cup
- Saffron /kesar – few strands
- Milk /dudh- 2 tsp
- Water/paani -3.5 cups
- Almonds /badam -12
- Raisins /kishmish- 3 tbsp
- Cardamom powder- 1/2 tsp
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottom pan.
- Add cloves ,cardamom(crush lightly to open it up) and cinnamon
- Add daliya and roast on low heat till it become pink and start giving a nice aroma.
- Now add raisins and chopped almonds and just give a stir.
- Add 3 cups of water and pressure cook for 3 whistles or cook till done.
- In a separate pan add sugar and water and cook till sugar melts.(A)
- Soak saffron in 2 tsp of milk and crush in a mortar and pestle.
- When cooker cool down completely then open it.
- Add sugar water(A) and mix it.
- Now give it a boil and then simmer on low heat,till it almost drys up.
- Now add cardamom powder and saffron and mix.
- Serve hot garnished with pista and almond slices.
- Use thick grain/coarse daliya to make laapsi ,don’t use the fine variety otherwise it may become mushy.
- The amount of water and pressure cooking time also depends on the quality of wheat used so adjust accordingly.
- Traditionally a good amount of ghee is used in making laapsi but you can easily reduce the quantity of ghee if you want
- You can also use jaggary /gur instead of sugar.
- It will become dry after some times,so its fine to have some moisture after finishing it.