Tabbouleh Salad -classic Middle Eastern salad of fresh greens and bulghur – A Lebanese specialty
Tabbouleh is a classic healthy salad from Middle east region. lots of fresh greens,tomatoes,cucumber are added with soaked bulgar/bulghur. Traditionally little quantity of bulghur is added in lots of greens but you can also add more bulghur if you wish ,but I have used more greens and less bulghur.
Bulgar is mainly used in middle eastern cuisine.wheat is parboiled,dried and coarsely ground into tiny pieces to make bulghur.if you don’t have bulghur then can substitute it with couscous or boiled fine daliya (broken wheat)
Use of greens, mint, parsley and lemon gives tabbouleh a very fresh flavor,addition of cucumber is optional but I have added it to give some crunch and freshness.When using tomatoes try to remove the pulp else it will become soggy soon.You can also add some finely chopped mild green chilies in it.
Traditionally Lebanese seven spice powder is also added in it but as I don’t have it so just used salt,pepper and lemon juice and loved the fresh flavors
Do try these healthy salads-
Prep time -15 min
Cuisine – Middle Eastern
Type – salad,side
Difficulty level – easy
Spice level – mild
- 1/2 cup -Bulghur (Fine cracked wheat)
- 5 cup – Parsley, chopped
- 1.5 cup – Mint leaves, chopped
- 2 – Tomato, chopped
- 3/4 cup – Cucumber,chopped
- 4 tbsp – Olive oil
- 3.5 tbsp – Lemon juice
- To taste – Salt
- 1/2 tsp – Pepper powder
- Take bulgar in a bowl and wash it with water .
- Now add 1 cup of hot water in bulgar.
- Cover the bowl with a lid and rest for about 25 minutes.
- Chop tomato and cucumber in fine pieces.
- Wash parsley and mint and chop finely.
- To make the dressing-In a bowl mix olive oil,lemon juice ,salt and pepper powder
- Take a big bowl and add soaked bulgar, parsley, mint, tomato and cucumbers and mix.
- Now add the prepared dressing in the salad.
- Toss gently and serve chilled
1-If bulghur is not available then can use couscous or boiled fine daliya
2-Chop vegetables and soak bulghur and then mix just before serving else the greens become soft and loose its crispness.
3-You can easily adjust the proportion of bulghur and greens according to your choice,can add more bulghur and less greens OR less bulghur and more greens.